Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

He 111 recovered in Norway

Article about: Info from JU88.net The first of the Planes to come up was the Heinkel, wnr. 2320. The Restoration team was joint teams from both FMU and DTM Berlin. The task of raising the Planes was given

?

Default He 111 recovered in Norway

Info from JU88.net

The first of the Planes to come up was the Heinkel, wnr. 2320. The Restoration team was joint teams from both FMU and DTM Berlin. The task of raising the Planes was given to Dive / ROV company "Saastad A/S" with previous experience with recovering warbirds such as CF+VP. Because of the use of Lake Jonsvatnet as Trondheims water supply, the team was given a limited time period by the city council of Trondheim to raise the Planes. The Barge and every boat that was used, had to be sprayed with chemicals to prevent pollution of the water, also the sediments on the bottom was to be moved.
    The operation began on august 28th, with attaching wires to the Heinkel.

The beaches was soon crowded with curious people. One man remained calm all the time, he had been here before. This was Artur von Casimir, a 96 years old former Luftwaffe Pilot. Artur was the last Pilot on 6N+NH before it came became a part of the Lake. Even it was over 60 years since the loss, Artur had still clear memories of those fateful days in April, he gave the Restoration team important information about the use of Jonsvatnet as an Airfield. A team from "Nordisk Film" with Gunhild W. Magnor interviewed Artur for Documentary "Vinger under vann" (Wings beneath water) This documentary are now available on DVD.

On 2th september the He111 began its slowly ascend with the help from the Crane aboard the Barge. The He111 began to move up from the bottom for the first on 60 years! The mud inside the Fuselage was not so much as feared. People began to cher when the Tail section and wings began to surface. On the surface the Heinkel was fitted with float tanks. The Heinkel was in a remarkeable condition with painting and markings clearly visible, including the battle Insigna to Kampfgruppe 100 - A Viking Ship!

The Jumo Engines to the Heinkel was recovered some days after the initial recovery together with the sad remains of Ju88 Wnr. 113, that only consisted of its rear section.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture He 111 recovered in Norway   He 111 recovered in Norway  

He 111 recovered in Norway   He 111 recovered in Norway  

Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Default Re: He 111 recovered in Norway

Fantastic Pic!!!
    Can't wait to see it finishe, Thanks Dimas
    is there a home page or somthing?? where the pic is from?

?

I've posted the source above JU88.net
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

wow very good pictures

?

Thanks for posting Dimas, amazing pictures. The detailed restoration of the Ju88 is also very impressive.

good to see them recovered, it's amazing how well preserved some relics are!

It's always the extremes isn't it?

Superb Dimas...Great Pictures.

?

great to see these pictures , Dimas

cheers Al

Hi Dimas, this is my favorite German bomber of ww2. Great to see it recovered.

Without me doing any more reading as i am off to work, does any body know how many of these survived the war?

rgds, Ty

Hi Ty, looks like there are 6. Here is a quick link for you so you can see how many survive and where, along with the post war Spanish built versions:

Heinkel

Don't be late for work

Enclosed is a pic I took of the one on display at the RAF Museum, Hendon.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture He 111 recovered in Norway  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast