Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

P47 Wreckage

Article about: That's right Danny, the part No's tell us which aircraft, 89 = P47, which I already know, its the serial No, for example 42-12905, which is obviously painted on the tail, and also stamped on

JIMSJEEP
    ?

Default Re: P47 Wreckage

That's right Danny, the part No's tell us which aircraft, 89 = P47, which I already know, its the serial No, for example 42-12905, which is obviously painted on the tail, and also stamped on larger parts of the aircraft, such as inspection hatches, etc, that's how I identified a P38, I found but that's another story. Thanks for the links guys, I'm aware of them, but like you say its a bit of a long shot trawling thought them but you never know it might give the place name or near abouts in those brief crash reports.
    I'm guessing it came down during December 44, early 45, Battle of the Bulge offensive, it might have been from one of the many satellite airfields set up such as, Y29 at Asch, could well be a 9th AF ship! I'll have to keep researching.
    Cheers Jim...

I have been doing a buch of research for a book i'm working on and have made some contacts in the national Archives i will ask for some Missing air Crew Reports for P47s going down in that area. All i need is a month and year and we can find out which plane it was. there are MACRs for every aircraft and sometimes you hit the jackpot and even get a map of where the plane went down and some eyewitness accounts.

Instead of having to request all those MACRs, just pay for one month of footnote and check the MACRs there. You can most likely search by locale to get a hit. If she flew with the 406th FG then I can most likely help you. I also believe your plane could have been a Razorback due to olive drab camo on the one part. Later Bubbletops were almost all in natural finish. That could narrow the search down quite a bit. How about you PM me the location and I see what I can find. Danny

Thats true they are on footnote I have a friend who is a subscriber to that and I can have him look. I usually request a list of aircraft for a particular month via email and then when I see what I want my friend at the archives sends them in an adobe file that day. But if you don't know anyone it can take several weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1