Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

scrapyard ww2 25lb gun?

Article about: Had a quick Google and found the photos of the scrap yard - They were taken in 2008 and there are Hercules engines shown, so my memory not totally gone! But not found the forum where the yar

?

Default Re: scrapyard ww2 25lb gun?

Had a quick Google and found the photos of the scrap yard - They were taken in 2008 and there are Hercules engines shown, so my memory not totally gone! But not found the forum where the yard including the gun was discussed - I think it may have even been WWI?

?

Ah! it was on the same forum but had to log in - consensus was it was a 4.7" QF ex naval gun of around 1895 vintage!

'Casemate' guns are what you're suggesting but these were a feature of very old ships, usually removed from those vessels that were modernised between the wars. The 4.7" guns were used as the main armament of smaller cruisers with many of the guns removed when they were scrapped and used on Armed Merchant Cruisers in WW1 and again in WW2 for armed trawlers etc

I hope that the good stuff was saved. I'd have loved that gun, it would have looked good in the collection.

anyone know where this yard is, i'm going up to scotland to check out the remains of a loyd carrier this coming week so i might be able to check it out and drag some of the stuff out of there and pass it on to someone who wants to restore it

looks like the gun we were looking for ! it looks like this gun here which ive included a photo of.

a few of us a few years ago were trying to find one of these guns to place on the Gun emplacement at Portishead point, one of the oldest forts in the bristol channel .

it was a great idea, but as allways the council were aprehensive about it.. but the chief archaeologist of the county thought it a good idea as the site has good acces for the old and infirm and would have been a poiniant memorial
    to the many forts that protected the shipping routes on the coast of the Brstol channel
    Shame there gone, Just hope they were saved !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture scrapyard ww2 25lb gun?  

?

"Sponson" mount

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2