Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????

Article about: Hi all, so I'm clearing out to sell some of my acquired relics. I bought this from a Russian seller about 10 years ago - he said it came from clearing around the Gumrak airfield, ( now Volgo

Default Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????

Hi all, so I'm clearing out to sell some of my acquired relics. I bought this from a Russian seller about 10 years ago - he said it came from clearing around the Gumrak airfield, ( now Volgograd International airport ) which considering even today as they expand the city and clear the land things are being found, it is not beyond reason.... but what is it???

About 60cm long ( if not bent ) I first thought it was an antenna as there is a bracket for a stay wire but it doesn't look like cabling in the head, more like tubing?
    Also its not that big - the oval section is about 3cm x 5cm so not robust enough to be a mast ....?

So, could it be a PITOT tube? ( for airspeed indication ) and maybe temperature sensors ( if they had them back then? )

The two rubber hoses have a woven braid on the outside too.

Any thoughts? ...I don't want to advertise it as something its not...

Thanks, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????   Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????  

Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????   Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????  

Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????   Unknown Luftwaffe Antenna or ????  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

With it having 2 tubes I would think maybe a Pitot/Static tube. Static for your Altimeter. A common combo on aircraft.
    Just a thought.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

This part is interesting . Possible RF or heating element exposed????? Is that what that is?

Tubes are usually heated to prevent freezing rain from clogging it.

Are there any electrical/wires coming out of this that would attach to the AC?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    This part is interesting . Possible RF or heating element exposed????? Is that what that is?

Tubes are usually heated to prevent freezing rain from clogging it.

Are there any electrical/wires coming out of this that would attach to the AC?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    HI Phil,

yeah it looks like a porcelain insulator with the wires poking out. If you look at this one, there seems to be impressions of THREE coils that were embedded in an insulator material? ( now rusted away )

Maybe the whole thing was heated?

Good to see Scott here from PIMA - mate any ideas?

?

I saw those "coils" and thought they were set screws....

So what type of aircraft's were at Gumrak airfield?? Russian and German I'm guessing????

Semper Fi
    Phil

From what I've read, Gumrak was a desperate place in the harsh Winter of 1942/43. After the fall of Pitomnik airfield on 17 January 1943, Gumrak was the only one of seven airfields around Stalingrad still in German hands. On 22 January, the last He 111 aircraft left the airfield with 19 wounded soldiers. Gumrak eventually fell on 23 January 1943.

Before then, in a desperate attempt to get airlifted from the Stalingrad "hell hole" soldiers would self inflict wounds in an attempt to become severely ill enough to qualify for an airlift - or as the frostbite killed off their extremities, they would go further - suicide was rife in the 6th in these last days - ONLY 5,000 would return to Germany, 250,000 would remain in Russia.....forever!

looks like the MB Jeep front leaf spring I broke lots of years back!

Yes, it does look a bit like the "torque" half spring .....