Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?

Article about: Dear collective wissdom, Trying to make the difference between authentic and fake SS-decals, I become a little bit frustrated when I was scrolling the pages where a lot of fake decals are pu

Default Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?

Dear collective wissdom,

Trying to make the difference between authentic and fake SS-decals, I become a little bit frustrated when I was scrolling the pages where a lot of fake decals are put together because almost no one explaines why certain decals are considered fake, even when there is an explicit question of a member to point out the things you should look at with a particular fake decal. Not only with SS-decals. It is like some try to keep it a mystery.

Having said that :
    when I was studying the book 'The helmet decals of the Third Reich' by Ken Nieuwiarowicz I came to the page 155 concerning Pocher SS-decals and how such a decall is manufactured. According to this book (if I am interpretating it well) there should be no silver pulver under the black runes exept for the borders of the runes. Yet I see a lot of SS decals considered as real where the black is gone and silver pulver spots are coming through. Even in this book as shown in the picture below.

How do you explane this ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?   Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I do think that the silver pulver was layered over a backing layer. This is what I think you might be referring to seeing when the decals are heavily scrubbed.

Happy to hear from others as decal construction is not a specialty of mine.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here is a really salty DD SS SD helmet on which the black print wore off of the silver pulver underneath it. It gives you a pretty good idea of the area under the runes that did not have a layer of pulver . Hope this helps. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?   Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?  

Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?   Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?  

Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?   Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?  

Thanks a lot, Jim. This helps a lot, this should be a real educative picture for in his book So the white spots in the middle of the runes are no silver pulver...

?

Glad you brought this up, I wasn't familiar with why we see the prominent edge on this maker. Here's a good shot showing the silver breaking through the "overlap" but not on the central part of the rune. Less wear than Jim's example but still obvious...

Black runes with silver pulver coming through ?