Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Helmet cover

Article about: Hey there, I have had this M42 for a while. It has a good camo cover that I wanted to post on here for people's thoughts. It was a gift from my parents... as you can imagine I was worried, b

MAP
    ?

Sorry to say but my fellow collector has confirmed our suspicions.

The cover is unfortunately not original
    He confirmed that the rocker clips are fake. Add to this my concerns over the stitching

These SS Camo covers are highly faked. Most didn't survive the war, so the majority on the market today are not original.

Like with much Third Reich Militaria, Over time, the fakers have perfected their craft making it more and more difficult to determine the fakes from real examples. Fooling even some experienced collectors.

Not sure what your parents paid for the cover and helmet combo but original covers easily cost between $5k and $7k given their rarity
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet cover
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

To add a bit of information supporting why this camo cover is not good.

See the photos below.

First and foremost is the stitching. On the OP's cover. the stitching was too tight/close between each stitch.

Next look at the clip. While there a few things wrong (mostly the rivet as well as the size of the oval opening), please look at the crimped part.

Helmet coverHelmet cover

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Good summary, and that's the strength of this Forum. In the absence of cast iron provenance, the consensus of experienced members will usually arrive at the truth.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Good summary, and that's the strength of this Forum. In the absence of cast iron provenance, the consensus of experienced members will usually arrive at the truth.
    Didn't want to leave the thread without some supporting evidence but was too busy to detail some of the issues till last night. I used to know this but been years since I spent time on them so was quite rusty. A big thanks to my friend for the quick tutorial and advice.

Networking is key in this hobby! We can't know it all.

Good info all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3