Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet cover real or fake

Article about: Dear all, I can buy this helmet cover from a private collector But I need your opinion of this helm cover, the seller says the cloth and clips are probably original, only the rivets have bee

Default Helmet cover real or fake

Dear all,
    I can buy this helmet cover from a private collector
    But I need your opinion of this helm cover, the seller says the cloth and clips are probably original, only the rivets have been renewed.
    What do you think of the cloth and the camouflage pattern?
    And why the clips rivets should have been new riveted?

Collector greetings
    Dirk
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet cover real or fake   Helmet cover real or fake  

Helmet cover real or fake   Helmet cover real or fake  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet cover real or fake
    P
    Many

I think the rivet story is just that - and to me the pattern looks off for Oak A or B.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Danmark,
    ok what do think about the cloth could be good or not ?

Thank you

some additional pictures from the other autum side

does anyone else have an opinion ?

Thank you in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet cover real or fake   Helmet cover real or fake  

The stitching doesn't look like authentic period stitching as seen on other confirmed covers, and why would the rivets be replaced? Clearly the seller knows they are too large for a period cover. One to pass on I think. Good for reinactors not collectors.

you are right, the stitching looks a bit new and I don't quite understand the story with the rivets?

Thank you for your feedback and help

That's what's so great about this forum

Sammler Grüße / Collector greetings

MAP
    ?

Agree with the other guys.

The stitching is modern. Compare to this photo.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for your explanation with pictures

Best regards
    Dirk

I agree with the comments so far. The one question I would want answered before even considering anything else is: why would (all) the rivets have been replaced if the cover itself is in a basically "serviceable" condition? Surely if all the rivets needed to be replaced for ANY reason the cover itself would be in tatters. I can't imagine any scenario in which all the rivets (just one that was a manufacturing defect, maybe) would be replaced rather than a new cover used, bearing in mind that in the period theses were "expendable" items.

Just a thought.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I agree with the comments so far. The one question I would want answered before even considering anything else is: why would (all) the rivets have been replaced if the cover itself is in a basically "serviceable" condition? Surely if all the rivets needed to be replaced for ANY reason the cover itself would be in tatters. I can't imagine any scenario in which all the rivets (just one that was a manufacturing defect, maybe) would be replaced rather than a new cover used, bearing in mind that in the period theses were "expendable" items.

Just a thought.

Mark
    Very good observation Mark and I agree. As an aside, there actually was a recent case where something like this actually happened. Of course it was an anomaly.

Some might remember, a few years back, an untouched hoard of these helmet covers were found in a loft of an old warehouse in Germany. While most of them were completed, a number were only partially completed with some of them not having the clips/rivets attached. If I remember, the clips and springs were present for many of them, just not fully attached.

So, while extremely remote, it might be possible that someone could have "recently" finished one of these original covers and now it has found it's way to the market.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast