Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M34 SS helmet vs other models

Article about: I've been wondering for some time now why the M34 helmet does not seem to be as desirable as M35. M40 etc. Is it because the M34 is viewed as being a non combat helmet or perhaps the design

Default M34 SS helmet vs other models

I've been wondering for some time now why the M34 helmet does not seem to be as desirable as M35. M40 etc.

Is it because the M34 is viewed as being a non combat helmet or perhaps the design of the front bill of the helmet vs other models?

I would think for a model type helmet collection that a collector would want one to complete the series of helmets produced 1930 to the mid 40's but it seems when these helmets go onto the market they do not sell as quickly as the M35 and onward models.

I know answers are opinions and like vs dislike but with prices of helmets these days spending thousands of dollars to obtain a good SS helmet that one would want something not only to enjoy but when the time comes to sell what ever you bought you don't want to wait months to sell.

The reason I ask this question is I'd been considering for some time purchasing a M34 and onward type helmet as my collection only has a Tropenlhelm example. If the M34 is less desirable is it worth the money to purchase one?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M34 SS helmet vs other models
    P
    Many

I think it could just be due to them not being a combat helmet, where as the m34 is for parade use leading them to not being as desirable. In my opinion if I was a SS helmet collector an M34 would also be a must to complete it.

MAP
    ?

Boy...tough question. And "opinions" is the key word

For me, as I focus on combat items, I am less drawn to M34s. That said, I do own a number of civil style helmets. But they are not a primary interest for me.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    I think it could just be due to them not being a combat helmet, where as the m34 is for parade use leading them to not being as desirable. In my opinion if I was a SS helmet collector an M34 would also be a must to complete it.
    Wrong , the m34 medium duty is not for parade use. You mix them up with a similar looking aluminium examples.
    I am a big fan of the M34 medium duty and I have most configurations.
    They were worn by smaller organisation like TENO with Heer decals or as no decal. By the Sicherheitsdienst as double decal SS , by the Bahnschutz with Heer and BS decals , Police with Police decals and even by the Luftschutz.

The primary focus of a lot of collectors are the combat models but if you want to expand and stay specifically with German helmets then these are great examples to have and a must have even if you want helmets of all the organisations.

If you want one… buy the model what you like. I know many collectors (like Schwerpunkt and helmet2id) with impressive collections and they are deep in these helmets. There are a couple of different makers, models, colors and Air System. This category of helmets is very interesting.

Kind regards
    Basti

The M34 also was employed by the bad boys of the SD Einsatzgruppen & SS Koncentration kamp larger guards.

I would believe that SD units who followed up behind the Wehrmacht & SS operation "Barbarossa" invasion saw combat operations rounding up Russian straggler units as well as partisans.

Then the 4th Panzer SS Polizei in the west also saw heavy combat.

There is actually no right or wrong answer to the question but the question is one of why collectors favor one over the other. Thank you for your replies!

Image on the left has description in German. Image on the right, Poland 1939
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M34 SS helmet vs other models   M34 SS helmet vs other models  

„ There is actually no right or wrong answer to the question but the question is one of why collectors favor one over the other.“

If you have all the „standard“ helmets, these helmets come more and more interesting.

Basti is right - I for some reason like the odd ball helmets like this light weight M34 DD SS helmet. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M34 SS helmet vs other models   M34 SS helmet vs other models  

M34 SS helmet vs other models   M34 SS helmet vs other models  

M34 SS helmet vs other models