Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 SS helmet single decal

Article about: Hello everyone, A local private seller in my area has posted this helmet for sale as an original SS helmet and would love to get your thought and opinions. Here are the photos he has provide

Default M42 SS helmet single decal

Hello everyone,

A local private seller in my area has posted this helmet for sale as an original SS helmet and I would love to get your thought and opinions.

Here are the photos he has provided, hope the quality is good enough..

Thanks
    Derek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 SS helmet single decal  
    Attached Images Attached Images M42 SS helmet single decal 
    Last edited by dholter; 05-05-2020 at 02:58 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 SS helmet single decal
    P
    Many

The runic shield closeup photo seems to be the only one that cannot be enlarged and when I do it is too blurred to see an detail. Could have been SS but the features that you would need to assess the decal are pretty much obliterated. You could always ask for a better closeup out of curiosity but personally it’s only worth the price of a relic shell in my opinion.

Andy

Thanks for the feedback Andy, how about this image in JPG?

In your opinion what would a SS relic shell in this condition go for? he is asking $550 for it

Thanks
    Derek

MAP
    ?

My two cents? I would always recommend passing on relic helmets like that has a decal so scrubbed it is nearly impossible to tell (especially from photos) if the decal is real or not. With out photographic proof of it coming out of the ground, it is always a roll of the dice. Relic helmets with decals are probably the most faked type around.

A $50 relic, slap a fake decal on it, scrub it and you sell it for $500 to $1k....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Still pretty hard to say at least in my opinion Derek but I'm not a an SS decal expert so others with more experience in SS decals may have more input. But essentially and depending on the type of decal (as there are many variations) you'd be looking at the decal border, rune points, decal break etc in order to determine. Being able to see the factory stamp may help as well.

Looks like the shell has has been scrubbed at some point thus obliterating much of the detail however I don't see why would some go to the trouble of faking something that is in such a poor condition that they stood to make little profit but stranger things have happened.

Do you mind saying how much they are asking?

Andy

@ Map, thanks for the good advise and will probably pass based on it

@ Andy, thanks again, of course and thought I mentioned it in one of the posts above: he's asking $550 canadian for it

With SS M42’s maker and lot number are also important to know.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    With SS M42’s maker and lot number are also important to know.
    not always.

Looking at this SS decal, you can go through the list of SS decals:

Pocher - No, runes are at the wrong angle (and you don't often see Pocher on an M42).
    Quist - No, left rune too far from border and runes at wrong angle.
    ET - Shape of border is wrong.

Which doesn't leave many other options. IMO it is a fake decal.

Maker and Lot number would also help, if they are still legible.
    nick

Thanks a lot guys, your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.

Based on your comments I am going to pass but thinking of sharing this info with him in case he wants to be legit with anyone else who contacts him.

Derek