Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My Brothers SS helmet.

Article about: Hello all, I'm Simon. New here. My brother and I have been collecting for 25+ years and have a ton of stuff. When it comes to the helmets we have collected we know some are good, some are qu

Do the SS helmets have a specific maker and or lot number?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Brothers SS helmet.
    P
    Many

Quote by SimonSorenKam View Post
    Do the SS helmets have a specific maker and or lot number?
    It's not that simple , maker yes lot nr not specific.
    SS Decals – German Helmet Vault

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    It's not that simple , maker yes lot nr not specific.
    SS Decals – German Helmet Vault
    Thanks. I have been using GermanHelmetvault since I started my trek to learn more about helmets. I have read until my eyes hurt, and I am trying to use their information, but I'm new so some of it is confusing to me.

Thanks. I have been using GermanHelmetvault since I started my trek to learn more about helmets. I have read until my eyes hurt, and I am trying to use their information, but I'm new so some of it is confusing to me.
    Do not rush into it , it takes a while to get the right feeling what to look for.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Do not rush into it , it takes a while to get the right feeling what to look for.
    I wont. I have spent 25 years collecting militaria. I hope to become helpful to others with what I have. German Helmets are my handicap. I want to change that and that's why I'm starting to post them. Next is my German visor cap collection.

TWS
    ?

German Helmets are my handicap. I want to change that and that's why I'm starting to post them. Next is my German visor cap collection.
    I would second the advice of going to Frank's website and studying. I would also recommend Ken Niewiarowicz's books and the new one by Jan Meland - my copy arrived a couple weeks ago and it's really good.

There are some other books out there that are NOT very good and some that even contain fakes portrayed as original. If you are looking at any other books you might want to ask the forum before purchase.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

ET made M35 / M40 / M42 helmets with SS decals.
    Around the 3200 lot number they started to drop decals as per official directives.
    With SS ET helmets they should have the ckl stamp (not ET) so this is a big red flag.
    That said, the decal is unfortunately a clear fake.
    Sorry for the bad news.
    Nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    ET made M35 / M40 / M42 helmets with SS decals.
    Around the 3200 lot number they started to drop decals as per official directives.
    With SS ET helmets they should have the ckl stamp (not ET) so this is a big red flag.
    That said, the decal is unfortunately a clear fake.
    Sorry for the bad news.
    Nick
    We were suspicious that it wasn't a good decal, the price was right on it though even if for a shell. The other stamp information we didn't know. Thanks for posting.

Quote by TWS View Post
    I would second the advice of going to Frank's website and studying. I would also recommend Ken Niewiarowicz's books and the new one by Jan Meland - my copy arrived a couple weeks ago and it's really good.

There are some other books out there that are NOT very good and some that even contain fakes portrayed as original. If you are looking at any other books you might want to ask the forum before purchase.
    German Helmet Vault's website is what actually got me here, I started reading there first haha. The Niewiarowicz's are on my list but man are they expensive, I'll have to put a little back for them. I went through the forum here on what was good reference materials to have and I bought a bunch of books already on what was posted there, some I already had though. For the last 10 years or so I have stayed away from Hicks books because of the fakes found in them. I have had one I like by Thomas Kibler called Combat Helmets of the Third Reich. color pictures and the decal detail is good in the book. Haven't heard anything negative about that book yet.

MAP
    ?

German Helmet Vault's website is what actually got me here, I started reading there first haha. The Niewiarowicz's are on my list but man are they expensive, I'll have to put a little back for them. I went through the forum here on what was good reference materials to have and I bought a bunch of books already on what was posted there, some I already had though. For the last 10 years or so I have stayed away from Hicks books because of the fakes found in them. I have had one I like by Thomas Kibler called Combat Helmets of the Third Reich. color pictures and the decal detail is good in the book. Haven't heard anything negative about that book yet.
    No, and I mean NO reference book is perfect. Yes, Kelly's book has the Champaign Rune decals but besides that it is good. I have it and like it.

IMO, Ken's two books are the best out there. And the layout excellent. If I could own just two books, it would be these. But, if the prices are too crazy there are other books and online materials. If you search, you can find them a reasonable prices, but not often and you need to be quick.

That said, Jan's new book is excellent, brand new and very reasonably priced. Photos are excellent, he covers a broad range of helmets, has good information on decals, liners, chinstraps, etc. I prefer how Ken organizes his books better, but you can't go wrong with Jan's book. Pick it up quick before they are all gone.
    Last edited by MAP; 10-30-2020 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast