Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Real or fake decal?

Article about: Hi, This decal is on a 66 (possibly CKL) M42 - photo isn't the best as it was taken at night without flash - I will try to get better daylight photos. Thanks Terry

Default Re: Real or fake decal?

Thanks for all of your comments guys! I had checked the reference section before I posted and knew there wasn't a direct comparison - It came as a 'surprise' addition to a cheap M42 ND I had bought online - no great loss as I'll recycle the liner and pins and do something with the shell. Many thanks Terry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real or fake decal?
    P
    Many

?

Terry , before you attempt to pull the helmet apart , it might be an idea to show the whole helmet with liner in situ , you could just carefully remove the crappy decal if the actual helmet proves a good'un

Thanks for the advice Dave, The liner pins are mismatched to the shell (different colours and one is probably a repro), without washers and very loose and on closer inspection the original liner is in much better condition than the shell which looks like it has been stored poorly (rusty - particularly inside) and cleaned up - a Frankenstein that someone has put together with a mixture of parts. I'm happy to pull this apart as I need a replacement liner for my M42 Luftwaffe (its a good match). I'm also not confident that the decal will come off cleanly as the texture under the decal is less worn than the rest of the shell possibly indicating that it was put on before the helmet was stored poorly and cleaned. Photos of the liner and exterior are below. Terry
    Real or fake decal?
    Real or fake decal?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake decal?  

?

Thanks Terry , i see what you mean but i would still have a go at steaming that decal off , the shell still looks decent enough and another liner could be fitted at a later date

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2