Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS ET Decal

Article about: Hi, what are you guys think about this Et?

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Thank you gents. Like I say, I still find these difficult. The Pocher fake is quite accurate, and still stumps me. A lot of fake decals are poor, but some are getting pretty good.
    Sharp pictures of the original would of helped too.
    Nick
    Nick
    Try something. Pull up the images of the 2 decals side by side. Don't look at them for a few seconds. Then take a quick glance, like one second. You might see the differences. If you stare too long, one looks like the other.
    Might work, might not
    D.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS ET Decal
    P
    Many

The composition/pulver was a one second determinative factor for me, very quickly followed by what the others said. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    The composition/pulver was a one second determinative factor for me, very quickly followed by what the others said. Jim G.
    Yes...it looks more like a plastic sticker, not a decal
    D.

I looked again. Although i still struggled a bit, one thing i did think is that the first decal doesn't jump out as being your instantly recognisable ET - how you see with some of them.
    It's one of those decals that has it's own 'feel' for sure. IMO, when original these are the nicest SS decals.
    Nick

RMD
    ?

For me, the repo on the left looks like a decal, whereas the original seems to be hand painted, which I understand was a common practice.

Thanks' for posting the original post, very interesting stuff.

MAP
    ?

Quote by RMD View Post
    For me, the repo on the left looks like a decal, whereas the original seems to be hand painted, which I understand was a common practice.

Thanks' for posting the original post, very interesting stuff.
    The repo is of course a decal.

But not sure I'm understanding your comment that it was common practice that originals were painted.

This is factually incorrect and wanted to point this out as to not confuse others.

Only in extremely rare cases would we ever see hand painted decals (typically on very very early transitional and commercial style helmets). Further these early SS helmets had hand painted runes that do not resemble these later "standardized" Sig runes.

I will note (very briefly) that the "Champaign" style SS "decals" that we see on the M35/40/42 Helmets (primarily 42's) are in fact painted. But these are airbrushed to "look like a decal" and are a high quality fraud.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2