Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS M40 Q64 Single Decal Battle Damaged

Article about: Estate find. Son (who's in his 70s) said dad brought this back after his time in Europe. I bought all kinds of bring back items including US uniforms, German bayonets, Luftwaffe belt buckle

?

Default SS M40 Q64 Single Decal Battle Damaged

Estate find. Son (who's in his 70s) said dad brought this back after his time in Europe. I bought all kinds of bring back items including US uniforms, German bayonets, Luftwaffe belt buckle and 3 other German helmets. The story was his dad shot the SS soldier when he wasn't expecting it. The helmet looks really nice. There's a reddish brown area on the liner which could be an old blood stain. The liner is named. It looks like J STEIN or perhaps STEIU. There's something written beneath this name, but I can't make it out. It's an M40 Q64. Definitely the best item from the lot. The semi-circle opening accommodates a .45 caliber bullet. Opinions? Thoughts? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 Q64 Single Decal Battle Damaged
    P
    Many

?

Hi, I like it! Very bizarre story.
    Regards,
    Peeloo

MAP
    ?

Nice.

Not much left of the decal so hard to verify. But it all looks aged and legit to my eyes.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

A friend of mine pointed out that below the soldiers name you can make out the two SS runes followed by a dash and another word. I'm still trying to decipher this. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by mds308; 04-23-2024 at 07:16 PM.

CSW
    ?

To me the lower marking looks like it could be "SS-Uscha." for the rank of Unterscharführer. I also believe you are correct about the name being J. Stein

?

To me the lower marking looks like it could be "SS-Uscha." for the rank of Unterscharführer.
    I believe the abbreviation is Uscharf. But either way, Uscha or Uscharf, I just don't see that with the letters I'm looking at. That's my two-cents. I really do appreciate your input. I appreciate everyone's input. This is definitely out of my wheelhouse. Thank you for your time.

CSW
    ?

Quote by mds308 View Post
    I believe the abbreviation is Uscharf. But either way, Uscha or Uscharf, I just don't see that with the letters I'm looking at. That's my two-cents. I really do appreciate your input. I appreciate everyone's input. This is definitely out of my wheelhouse. Thank you for your time.
    Thanks a lot for the reply!

My guesses are usually far from correct, so hopefully some more experienced members will comment on the writing too. Here is what I personally saw and what led to me writing my previous comment, probably not accurate:

In any case, this very forum has taught me that Uscha is indeed a common abbreviation for the rank, as seen here on some original items (all credits to fellow forum user Rossi for the second picture):

SS M40 Q64 Single Decal Battle Damaged SS M40 Q64 Single Decal Battle Damaged

Nice helmet and a great find anyway!

?

Nice helmet and a great find anyway!
    Now I'm back in your camp, CSW. Your drawing is wonderful. I believe USCHA was for the equivalent of a US Corporal.
    Yes, it is a great find. I was lucking to have this come my way.