Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.

Article about: Hello! I recently noticed this particular relic condition M40 helmet for sale in our local forum. Apart from the liner drawstring which isn't original, it does raise some questions- the helm

Default Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.

Hello!

I recently noticed this particular relic condition M40 helmet for sale in our local forum. Apart from the liner drawstring which isn't original, it does raise some questions- the helmet seems to be M40, but it has what looks like to be M31 N.A. liner made from aluminum with reinforcements- i had seen some aluminium liners produced in 1941, but how common was this combination- M40 helmets with aluminum liners? The condition of the helmet makes it impossible to identify manufacturer and lot nr.- which makes it difficult to find the correlation between manufacturer and the decal types that were used, as a result i have question about the decal itself- is it authentic? The photos are from the original listing.

With best regards,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.   Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.  

Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.   Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.  

Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.   Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm M40 SD SS in relic condition.
    P
    Many

If the maker cannot be verified it can be dangerous to buy it from photos alone. They do very good damaged fake decals. The fakes I have seen do exhibit a modern print when looked at with a loupe.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    If the maker cannot be verified it can be dangerous to buy it from photos alone. They do very good damaged fake decals. The fakes I have seen do exhibit a modern print when looked at with a loupe.
    Thanks for the opinion, i am not sure either- are there any chance to identify helmet judging from the shape of the vent holes? I personally can't pin point the exact manufacturer could be Quist/ NS/ ET? Out of curiosity- are there any aproximate timeframe when the germans did stop to assemble M40 helmets at the factory with aluminium M31 liners?

Quote by Oberschutze View Post
    Thanks for the opinion, i am not sure either- are there any chance to identify helmet judging from the shape of the vent holes? I personally can't pin point the exact manufacturer could be Quist/ NS/ ET? Out of curiosity- are there any aproximate timeframe when the germans did stop to assemble M40 helmets at the factory with aluminium M31 liners?
    Assuming the liner is original to the helmet , I believe Quist used them till 1943 even.
    Others stopped earlier , I have a 1940 dated alu liner in an ET and a 1939 dated one in an NS M40.
    Had an EF M40 as well.
    But it would be dangerous to guesstimate the maker and assume the decal is right for it.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Assuming the liner is original to the helmet , I believe Quist used them till 1943 even.
    Others stopped earlier , I have a 1940 dated alu liner in an ET and a 1939 dated one in an NS M40.
    Had an EF M40 as well.
    But it would be dangerous to guesstimate the maker and assume the decal is right for it.
    Still a lot of useful information from Your answer- thank You. I will probably pass on it. All i know that the seller actually was buying or tried to buy a helmet in Russia from website- it was actually seized by russian customs officials together with other ww2 relics. He had tried to sell several helmets in relic condition with decals.

I don't really like the condition of the liner and chinstrap, compared to the metal. Something just doesn't sit right with me on those. Usually, ground found leather is jet black and shriveled.

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    I don't really like the condition of the liner and chinstrap, compared to the metal. Something just doesn't sit right with me on those. Usually, ground found leather is jet black and shriveled.
    With few exceptions, here is a helmet found by my comrade M42 Stahlhelm ND, with owners initials 2 - but for most of the time- it is indeed very dark, and as it was said "black" like tar.