Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What do we make of this Transitional SS piece?

Article about: Can anyone tell me what they think about this helmet? GH

Default What do we make of this Transitional SS piece?

What do we make of this Transitional SS piece?
    What do we make of this Transitional SS piece?What do we make of this Transitional SS piece?What do we make of this Transitional SS piece?

Can anyone tell me what they think about this helmet?

GH

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do we make of this Transitional SS piece?
    P
    Many

Not for me. Jim G.

?

This is a M16 helmet

Decal is not original. Liner is a correct WW2 wartime made steel band. Shell appears original, but looks painted post war
    D.

As said, a re-worked helmet, the decal also shows the "sawtooth" effect from modern printing methods on the edges of the runes. Leon.

I am not the best at judging decals and usually have to look very carefully but in this case I took one look at the first pic and without enlarging the image at all thought "no chance". As Leon says the runes have the give away "sawtooth" edge but you have to enlarge to see that in a photograph. To me it instantly made me think of the decals on plastic model aircraft.
    Of course it is hard to discern with certainty the actual shade of the paint on a PC monitor but that is clearly not the original coat of paint and the rough surface underneath supports that judgement.
    Once again this appears to be an honest piece of history ruined in the best case by an innocent restorer who knows no better or in the worst case by fakers trying to "pimp it up"

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-19-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."