Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Band Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Original?

Article about: This band seems Original? As you can spread this kind of band, the original false?

Default Band Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Original?

This band seems Original?
    As you can spread this kind of band, the original false?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Band Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Original?   Band Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Original?  

Last edited by rbminis; 03-24-2023 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Band Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Original?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Band EK2 Original?

It looks like a perfectly original and unissued length of EK2 ribbon.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree, it just needs a nice minty EK2 hanging from it

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thank you very much you both for the help!

Quote by Adrian View Post
    It looks like a perfectly original and unissued length of EK2 ribbon.
    Hi Adrian. What is the difference between a section of ribbon where the ends are cut straight and those that have a serrated cut. I think I read somewhere that the ones with a serrated cut were designated as replacement ribbons? Thanks Ron

?

To be honest Ron, I've never considered it.
    You may well be correct as any spare ribbons I've had have always had the serrated ends as though cut by pinking shears.
    The Deschler hoard EK2s and KVK2s seem to come with straight edged ribbons and as they are unissued sets, this theory holds up.
    But there are also apparently unissued sets that have serrated ends.
    The ribbons were supplied on a roll and if in a shop, perhaps spare ribbon was cut using pinking shears to prevent fraying.

To be honest Ron, I've never considered it.
    You may well be correct as any spare ribbons I've had have always had the serrated ends as though cut by pinking shears.
    The Deschler hoard EK2s and KVK2s seem to come with straight edged ribbons and as they are unissued sets, this theory holds up.
    But there are also apparently unissued sets that have serrated ends.
    The ribbons were supplied on a roll and if in a shop, perhaps spare ribbon was cut using pinking shears to prevent fraying.
    Thanks Adrian. Perhaps one of those mysteries we may never know the answer to. Serrated edges to prevent fraying does make a lot of sense. Sounds like straight cut or serrated, both are acceptable original ribbons. I'm guessing not glowing under ultraviolet light is a bigger test of authenticity? Any other things to look for regarding a period ribbon? Being a novice collector of WWII items, I am trying to take a crash course lol. I appreciate your input Ron

?

Hello Ron,
    Once you have a few ribbons in hand you will be able to tell the difference.
    Straight cut and serrated are both acceptable. It may simply be down to whatever scissors the person cutting had in their hands at the time.
    There was enough ribbon issued with each EK to sew a length through a couple of button holes.

There is a useful thread about ribbons here:

Ribbon authenticity guide

Hello Ron,
    Once you have a few ribbons in hand you will be able to tell the difference.
    Straight cut and serrated are both acceptable. It may simply be down to whatever scissors the person cutting had in their hands at the time.
    There was enough ribbon issued with each EK to sew a length through a couple of button holes.

There is a useful thread about ribbons here:

Ribbon authenticity guide
    Thanks for the thread link. Very interesting. What length of ribbon do you normally display your EK2's with? Seems the standard cut of replacement ribbon is about 30cm?