Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker

Article about: I was able to expand the little family, with the help of a friend. Normally not a good thing, but when it comes to crosses, it is a great happening! One piece construction, pre any kind of r

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker

I was able to expand the little family, with the help of a friend.
    Normally not a good thing, but when it comes to crosses, it is a great happening!
    One piece construction, pre any kind of regulation and a very fragile looking needle.
    Not too much paint loss, fortunately.

To this moment no consensus about the maker I think, so I will leave that open.
    Two names keep popping up, so I double marked the label. With two question marks.

Hope you like it!

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker
    P
    Many

?

That's a new one to me, I've never seen anything like it. The beading pattern is very unusual, as is the hinge and pin. Is there any provenance with it?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Adrian,

There was a time these were considered fakes. That was a good time to salvage one or a few. Unfortunately that time has passed and these are now considered rare. 4 variants do exist: this one, a 2 piece screwback, a slightly thicker needle and a normal needle.

Unknown Maker (Associated with Juncker) - EK1-DNA

Check the Thater books, vol 1 page 180 and up. The DM book on the 1. Klasse I have not yet, but I guess it is there in too.

Martin

Btw: glad a collecting vet like you can still be surprised!

?

I can see why there is an association with Juncker going by the obverse, the reverse however is just strange. The catch seems to be the most substantial part of the reverse hardware. It's just a very bizarre EK.
    Almost like a production prototype that had an experimental hinge and pin for display purposes only.
    EK1s were made to high quality during the First World War so you would imagine the hinge and pins would have evolved from those.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

That was exactly my feeling when I first saw the hardware of this type. Can't be good, no way a descent maker would dare to produce this. Assumed it was still the wealthy 1939/1940.
    Prototype? Yes, maybe. Your guess is as good as mine.
    And if I was not convinced of the sellers widely known experience and reliability, I woud never dare to buy across like this.
    The Juncker connection looks very promising, but there is also a lot to say for Deschler.

Here is it next to his screwback brother:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker  

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker  

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 by unknown maker  

With permission of my dear friend Ben Bijker, this is an overview of all four types of this cross. The thicker needle I hope to find once. The 'real' needle Ben only encoutered once, so that seems pretty impossible.