Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse Authentication

Article about: Hello, last one of these I promise! My friend was given this by his late Grandad and wanted to know whether it is a genuine example or not. I do not have one of my own to compare it too as I

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse Authentication

Hello, last one of these I promise!

My friend was given this by his late Grandad and wanted to know whether it is a genuine example or not. I do not have one of my own to compare it too as I only have single examples of an EK2.

I have tested the core and it is not magnetic, but I know some were made with brass (which the visible polished brassy swastika but also explain). I also couldn't see any makers stamps/numbers on the medal but I know these aren't always on German medals. The medal definitely has some age to it, and its not light or flimsy feeling so I am not sure what to think. The weight also feels right but again, I can't compare it to a real example in hand as I don't own one. The hinge is also damaged and I can never spot what makes a hinge on the back real/fake but the hook itself is missing anyway.

I still haven't sussed out how to rotate the images, sorry.

Thank you in advance for any help guys, this is the one I am the least sure on trying to get it checked, the other EK2's I've asked for I have a fair bit of confidence in.

Tom

Last edited by Moshemotom; 05-22-2022 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse Authentication
    P
    Many

Please read this thread regarding posting in this section of the forum.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.

Also, this one.
    Uploading photos and posting multiple items.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph

Apologies RE the naming of my post, I will bare this in mind in future. I also can't seem to rotate the photos no matter what I do. On my PC they are the right way up but even after re-uploading I have the same issue. Hopefully people will still be able to assist

Cheers
    Tom

Quote by Moshemotom View Post
    Hi Ralph

Apologies RE the naming of my post, I will bare this in mind in future. I also can't seem to rotate the photos no matter what I do. On my PC they are the right way up but even after re-uploading I have the same issue. Hopefully people will still be able to assist

Cheers
    Tom
    Hello Tom,
    If you are uploading them from your PC, try cropping them a little to remove the surrounding empty space, and re-save them.
    I do this with every photo and I have never had one rotate on me.
    Even if I don't crop them, I re-size them a little, and re-save them.
    This should work for you.
    You will find that members are more willing to help, if they do not have to strain themselves to view your photos.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the tips Ralph. I am hoping I have cracked it this time.

Hopefully people will now be able to assist me! Given the wear on the medal, patina and slight chipping of the black on the front of the cross I am hoping this is the real deal but I don't have a genuine one to compare to myself. Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

Hello Tom,
    nice cross

It looks like an original brass cored Wachtler and Lange EK1 IMO. Hook is missing.

Perhaps others will clarify

All the best
    Doug

Thanks Doug. I really hope so as it feels genuine but as there no MM I can see and it has the non-magnetic (presumably brass as you say and based on the metal visible under the black) core I want to check with the experts. It’s a shame the hook is missing but the rest of the medal is in good condition so not the end of the world.

Can anybody else confirm if they think it’s original?

Cheers
    Tom

As Doug says nice W & L EK1, I love these early brass cored crosses, This one has that been there look. Regards Paul

Yes, the brass core crosses are special.