Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse E. Ferd. Wiedmann

Article about: I initially regarded this EKI by Wiedmann with suspicion as the hardware looked off. Upon closer examination I found the hinge is soldered on lower than on other examples, which causes the p

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse E. Ferd. Wiedmann

I initially regarded this EKI by Wiedmann with suspicion as the hardware looked off. Upon closer examination I found the hinge is soldered on lower than on other examples, which causes the pin to stick out a bit on the bottom. The actual hinge and catch match very closely (under magnification) to the example in Dietrich Maertz’s book.

There are notable die flaws on some of the outer beading corners where the last beads prior to each corner bead overlap. Comparing this to the example in the book, my frame is rotated one step to the right.

The 1939 Date stands up quite a bit from the core, noticably more than on most EKs I have seen. The Swaz does not stand up as far, and is rather low compared to the beading. With rounded edges.

This cross is vaulted. There are tool marks on the back showing it was vaulted after it was made. If this happened post war or not is anyones guess. The tool marks are not fresh looking so it was not done too recently.

What is unfortunate about this cross is that someone chose to repaint the core. The “antique restoration expert” did not remove the remnants of the original finish, so the surface appears uneven. In addition there is overspray on the beading and the color used is a bit far too glossy. Clearly an airbrush was used, so why the extra care of proper masking or a more correct shade of black wasn’t taken is odd. At a minimum I will clean up the overspray with some Mr. Color Thinner.

Allyhough I generally don’t go for items in this type of condition I am happy with this one, as these crosses are not common and the price reflected the condition.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse E. Ferd. Wiedmann
    P
    Many

Quote by Chrish124 View Post
    What is unfortunate about this cross is that someone chose to repaint the core. The “antique restoration expert” did not remove the remnants of the original finish, so the surface appears uneven. In addition there is overspray on the beading and the color used is a bit far too glossy. Clearly an airbrush was used, so why the extra care of proper masking or a more correct shade of black wasn’t taken is odd.
    It looks to be correct to me.
    This is not as odd as you might think. I have more than one cross in my collection that displays more than one layer of paint.
    This maker marked 25 shows this, and it was not done yesterday.
    Ralph.

But, if you also look at these photos, you may see the reason that some of these received another coat of paint.
    Look closely around the numbers, I believe some maker's crosses were prone to paint cracking, and lifting.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

That is an interesting perspective, and a nice 25 you got there.