Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, L/16, 4, Double Marked Steinhauer & Lück

Article about: Hello Everyone, I'm yet to buy my first EK1 and have been on the look out for the right one. I've seen the EK1 shown in attached photos and have a few questions. I know that Steinhauer &

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, L/16, 4, Double Marked Steinhauer & Lück

Hello Everyone,

I'm yet to buy my first EK1 and have been on the look out for the right one.

I've seen the EK1 shown in attached photos and have a few questions.

I know that Steinhauer & Lück are one of if not the most common manufacturer of EK1's. A double marked Steinhauer & Lück is rarer than a standard marked cross but they aren't actually considered rare.

Firstly, what are your thoughts regarding authenticity?

I'm not an expert but I've done what limited research I can, I've looked at past forum posts and again used this very helpful website - Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - Iron Cross 1st Class - EK1-DNA

Everything seems correct although I have not been able to exactly match the bottom of the '1' to any of the 4's or L16's. The very ends of the base of the 1 seem to flair up. This may be just down to the fact I'm unable to zoom all the way into the photos on the website.

Secondly, do you think the hook and pin have been replaced at some point?

I don't know how to say it other than it doesn't look clean, many of the other posts that show EK1's that have darkened areas always seem to come to conclusion that the hook and pin have been replaced. You can also see an area of messy solder around the hook.

Thirdly, do you have any ideas on what would of caused the indentations on the corners of the frame? (marked on the photo).

It almost looks like someone has taken some steel wool around the edges of the frame.

As always, any help/info would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, L/16, 4, Double Marked Steinhauer & LückEisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, L/16, 4, Double Marked Steinhauer & Lück
    Last edited by Night Flare; 07-05-2021 at 02:14 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, L/16, 4, Double Marked Steinhauer & Lück
    P
    Many

Quote by Night Flare View Post
    Firstly, what are your thoughts regarding authenticity?
    Original St&L EK1.

Secondly, do you think the hook and pin have been replaced at some point?
    No, hinge/pin/catch are original to the cross. Messy solder or some old patina around the hinge and catch, it's possible that the reverse of this EK1 has once been cleaned.

Thirdly, do you have any ideas on what would of caused the indentations on the corners of the frame? (marked on the photo).
    Those "indentations" are the result of hand finishing. After the two frame halves were soldered together, the frame edge was somewhat filed down to remove any excess solder, metal burrs, ect. The St&L worker handled the inner corners a little too enthusiastic that day it seems.

Best regards,
    Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for explaining so clearly.

The St&L worker really seems to have gone for it!!

Do you collect EK1’s?

If so, do you have a preferred manufacturer?

I did not purchase the cross in the end as I was unsure about it. I used the money to purchase a different item. It arrives tomorrow. I will make a separate post about it.

I will be keeping an eye out for an EK1 and thanks to your post I’m armed with that bit more knowledge.

Thank you once again,