Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)

Article about: I recently purchased my first WW2 Iron Cross 2nd Class with the original Ribbon. I want to make sure that I store it "properly" and would really appreciate some recommendations. I

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)

I recently purchased my first WW2 Iron Cross 2nd Class with the original Ribbon. I want to make sure that I store it "properly" and would really appreciate some recommendations.

I was going to use a small 4" x 5" x 1" tall "Riker's Case" with the Std. Poly Fill cushioning material that comes inside of the Case but...... after doing a little research online, I am finding that it "might not" be a good idea??.......What I have found online, says that the Poly Fill Material decomposes with heat and emits hazardous "gases" (i.e., vinyl acetate and acetic acid)..........Sounds like bad stuff!.....Not sure if a Rikers Case with Poly Fill is such a good idea anymore??

I know that LOTS of people store their Ribbons and Medals in a Poly-Fill type Riker's Case (and may have had no issues at all).......I'm just a little scared to go that way now (especially with my prized Iron Cross and Ribbon).

Can someone tell me the "correct/best" way to store and protect my Iron Cross? I'd really like to store it in a glass top Case (if possible), so I can look at it easily from time to time......Just don't want to careless and damage it , or the Ribbon by not caring for it properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harold

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)
    P
    Many

I display my awards behind glass in a curio cabinet and out of direct sunlight...
    German troops wore their awards in combat - Exposed to the elements daily, so there's little to worry about as far as deterioration is concerned...
    -Glenn-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)  
    Last edited by GlennAgain; 03-22-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks Glenn.....Beautiful Collection!

I have kept my EK’s in these protective pouches for over 10 years with absolutely no detrimental affect on the medals at all.

Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)Eisernes Kreuz 1939 (Proper Storage)
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem