Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?

Article about: Found this for sale, looks like a 3 piece from the photos provided. Noticed that the catch on the back doesn’t look original? I didn’t do much research before posting this, busy at work

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?

Found this for sale, looks like a 3 piece from the photos provided. Noticed that the catch on the back doesn’t look original? I didn’t do much research before posting this, busy at work right now, but curious. Any information or input would be appreciated. Thank you!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?   Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?  

Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?   Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?  

Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?   Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?
    P
    Many

It looks like an original K&Q with a replaced catch.
    You can compare to mine here.
    Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, 65 Klein&Quenzer
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

As Ralph says, an original Klein & Quenzer that has had a replacement catch fitted. If you're thinking of a purchase, the price should be a lot cheaper than a completely original example.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Great comparison. thank you for the information.

Update: I had indeed required the cross around the time of the post, also at a significantly reduced price. I took it to a jeweler that I’ve known for a long time, them having decades of experience I thought I would get a true opinion on the catch itself.

What I learned, is that the particular locking clasp that had been put on the back as a replacement, is in fact period accurate. Based on the features on the clasp itself, it would have been produced and used between the 1940’s and 1950’s.

I was given examples of jewelry from the period having the exact clasp as well. A key thing to look for, is the thickness of the finger nubs, as well as the fact that there are two of them. after that time period, they were designed to be slimmer, as well as only having one finger nub.

Along with the way it’s appeared to have aged with the entirety of the backing, i’d say it was applied within the decade of the cross being awarded. But this itself is an assumption, I cannot imagine somebody applying a replacement catch in the 50s?

I have a firm belief that even though it is not 100% in original condition, I am still very happy with the purchase. Simply because what is on it, is still accurate historically, and not a modern modification. I thought it would be good to share what I have learned. And if there is anything that I missing, it would be good to collaborate.

Close up photos of the locking clasp itself.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?   Eisernes Kreuz 1st Class real or fake?  

?

At the end of the day, you have an original EK1 that has had a replacement catch. Those things don't worry me in the least if it's a period repair or a good job made of a post war repair.
    You never display your awards with the reverse facing out anyway.
    It may well be the original recipient wanted a more secure fitting on a tunic that could be removed easily and didn't want to bend the original catch to make it impossible to remove.

Interesting notes about the type of catch too.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Couldn’t have worded it any better, and to the latter part of your comment about the original recipient I imagine that’s the case however, there’s no way of knowing. (If these things could talk)! And when it comes to the history about the catch, I myself was also intrigued soon learning about something that I didn’t think I would ever find myself researching, it’s good to share this information and I’m glad it was interesting to you too.