Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)

Article about: Hello, I have a 1939 Iron Cross 2nd Class with a brass painted swastika and years. I’m most definitely sure it’s a true Iron Cross, but I’ve not seen many examples of this type out on

Post Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)

Hello, I have a 1939 Iron Cross 2nd Class with a brass painted swastika and years. I’m most definitely sure it’s a true Iron Cross, but I’ve not seen many examples of this type out on the Internet, how rare is this to come across compared to the standard 2nd class Iron Crosses were the the swastika and years are blacked out?

I’ve been able to do a series of test to prove that this is a real Iron Cross such as
    • check to see if it’s a 3 piece produced cross by slipping a thin piece of paper successfully in between black part of the cross and the outlining border, as well as finding the press line along the outside edges of the cross.
    • found the stamped number 27 on the suspension ring which indicated it was produced in Vienna, by Anton Schenkl Nachfolger.
    • the weathering on the cross shows the original material it was made with that matches, as well as the slight amount of rust and the cracking of the black.

As well as those I’ve done a few other studies, but I would like to know anything anyone may know about this cross. When exactly it may have been produced and or how unique it could be? Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)  

Last edited by rbminis; 08-24-2021 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (brass center)
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum.
    I have moved your thread to the EK section of the forum, and re-titled the thread.

Congrats, you have done more research than most of the new members.

Yours is an original Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, and you already know the maker.

I don't believe it is a brass painted core, some EK were made with brass cores but I do not think this maker was one of them.
    You can compare it to my example, I believe yours is in similar condition.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

As Ralph says it doesn't appear very brassy in these pictures, I wouldn't expect a ring stamped cross to have a brass core, Have you tried a magnet on it?, Regards Paul

Good news, I’ve just tried the magnet test, by also placing a piece of paper between the medal and the magnet so it may not scratch the medal. The cross had stuck to the magnet with much force. So this EK certainly has an iron core! That was a great idea, and thank you for the suggestion. However, would you happen to know why the EK’s with no black coat over the dates and swastika are so hard to come by? I’ve only found a few that remotely resemble this online, almost all have them black coated.

Quite a great EK, I’ve found out through the magnet test that my cross is made with an iron core.

Quote by AHudson319 View Post
    However, would you happen to know why the EK’s with no black coat over the dates and swastika are so hard to come by? I’ve only found a few that remotely resemble this online, almost all have them black coated.
    Normally, they would receive a black coating to the whole core, it is only the ones that have the finish worn off, and the bare metal exposed that look like this.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)