Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?

Article about: Hi Guys, I got this EK2 off eBay a while back, before I knew better. I haven't been able to prove or disprove its authenticity myself despite a lot of searching. Markings: a worn 3 or 2 (not

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?

Hi Guys,

I got this EK2 off eBay a while back, before I knew better. I haven't been able to prove or disprove its authenticity myself despite a lot of searching.

Markings: a worn 3 or 2 (not sure)on the big ring. Tiny x on small ring, maybe just scratches?
    Construction: 3 Piece
    Width: 45mm
    Heigth: 45mm
    Depth: Approx 4.5mm
    Magnetic Core: yes
    Core rattles: yes
    Ribbon: Does not glow
    Soldering seams: barely discernible in a few spots
    Weight without ribbon: 20.20g
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?  

Last edited by rbminis; 05-26-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?
    P
    Many

The number 3 is for the firm of Wilhelm Deumer, but, normally the numbers are "incused". I will post an example.
    Your cross appears to have a beveled swastika so that would rule out a Deumer. It could be a 13 for Gustav Brehmer though as some of their crosses do have a beveled swastika.
    Please wait for other opinions.
    Ralph.

Please have a read of this thread.
    The Use of German Terminology.

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you for the information.

It appears that this cross is a "24" Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hanauer Plakettenhersteller.

What made this identification so difficult was the Makers Mark on the suspension ring that looked like a non-incused, heavily worn 3.

3 of course is for Deumer, but the, font, wide frame and non-incused makers mark exclude a Deumer.

Upon closer inspection it became clear that the makers mark is so heavily worn it could be an 8, a 9 or even a multi digit number where the other digits are worn away. The ring could even be a replacement, so I decided to focus on the cross itself.

It has a thick jump ring marked with a small x.
    The jump ring is closed and isn't mounted on a hump.
    It has a wide frame.
    Swastika is lightly beveled.
    The Font appears to match a 24.

Based on this I am considering this a 24, unless others have evidence to the contrary.

Here is my marked "24" to compare.
    Sometimes marked 24 on the ring, frequently marked with something on the jump ring as well.
    Ralph.

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?

Here is my unmarked example to compare details as well.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Your jump ring is a bit thinner and mounted a touch lower than mine. What is interesting is that I have another unmarked one that has a 3 leafed clover on the jump ring. It has a thinner lower mounted ring like yours. From what I understand both a clover and a small x are features of a 24.

It appears as if all three have the same font and die flaws in the beading. But the two of mine vary in weight and dimension slightly. The one I originally posted in this thread weighing 20.20 grams and being just about 45mm x 45mm, whereas the one with the clover weighing 19.68 grams and measuring a fraction under 45mm in both directions.

So they all look like 24's and have the same font, die flaws and marks specific to that manufacturer etc, but the weight, dimensions and jump ring thickness and mounting height vary.

So I imagine die Arbeitsgemeischaft der Hanauer Plakettenhersteller must have had some variation in their crosses over time, as the similarities in die flaws make it hard to believe they are from different manufacturers all together. But of course this is all educated guessing. In the photo, the one on the right is the one the post is originally about, with the small x, the one on the left is the clover marked one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from EBay?