Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse LDO Case

Article about: Hi Gents, This is not my area so I am hoping to get some views on this case, looks a bit to new to my eyes. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse LDO Case

Hi Gents,
    This is not my area so I am hoping to get some views on this case, looks a bit to new to my eyes. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse LDO CaseEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse LDO Case
    Last edited by rbminis; 04-04-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse LDO Case
    P
    Many

Hi Morris,

It's a fake case that's been appearing a lot on internet auction sites with increasing frequency in the last 12 months or more. They're going for around $100-$125 or so, which is quite a hit if you get caught. The main giveaway at a glance is the incorrect spacing of the letters in the LDO stamp. They are too tight, original examples have the letter 'O' "floating away" from the other two letters and it looks odd, but is entirely correct. Here's an original example of the stamp for comparison.

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse LDO Case

This fake also appears with a piece of elastic tape across the inside of the lid, which never occured in original cases, but these are often removed as in this example. It's likely if examined closely that the remains of the glue residue that fixed it in place are still visible on this closer examination. So, best give this one a pass.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 04-05-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you for the in depth response Ned, saved me a pretty penny.
    You were spot on, advertised as unissued for 100 dollars.
    Morris

Wow, thanks for the heads-up big ned, I almost fell into that trap as well!