Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?

Article about: I just picked up this Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse. Hoping to confirm that it is an example of the "Odd Date" Variant. The number style and cross hatching on the beading seems to sugge

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?

I just picked up this Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse. Hoping to confirm that it is an example of the "Odd Date" Variant. The number style and cross hatching on the beading seems to suggest this. There is also a lug that is only attached on the front. Thanks, Ron

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant? Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant? Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?
    P
    Many

?

Absolutely no problem with his one. It's a fairly rare EK to find so well done on being able to add it to you collection.
    As far as I know there is no attributed maker to these crosses.
    I have a couple of examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse "Odd Date" Variant?  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Absolutely no problem with his one. It's a fairly rare EK to find so well done on being able to add it to you collection.
    As far as I know there is no attributed maker to these crosses.
    I have a couple of examples.
    Thank you for the confirmation Adrian. Looking forward to this one arriving.

?

I've just noticed, on your example Ron and on my two, the last 9 in 1939 is chipped. I've never taken any notice of this before. Maybe a manufacturing issue that chipped the paint on assembly or at least damaged it with out it being visible. Time has since made the chipping visible.

*Had a quick search, it appears to be a common thing on these EKs. Some obvious, some not so but there is a definite trend.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I've just noticed, on your example Ron and on my two, the last 9 in 1939 is chipped. I've never taken any notice of this before. Maybe a manufacturing issue that chipped the paint on assembly or at least damaged it with out it being visible. Time has since made the chipping visible.

*Had a quick search, it appears to be a common thing on these EKs. Some obvious, some not so but there is a definite trend.
    Very interesting observation Adrian. The "Odd Date" example given in The Iron Cross 2. Class book by Maerz/Alt, on Page 520 shows the last 9 in 1939 chipped as well.