Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26

Article about: Agreed, and personally i hope the hoard story is true. I just think that if I was faker and had spent the time and effort to create a perfect fake that it would be difficult to flood the mar

?

Default Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26

Hi everyone,just bought a cased EK1 marked 26. Need opinions on it.Thank you all very much!
    Lianyi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26   Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26  

Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26   Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26  

Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26   Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26

I like the cross and the case. Both original for me. Perhaps Fabri can confirm but is this style of case associated with the Russian Hoard?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Yes Horde crosses have the same set up and case.

?

Thanks for both your replies! But as a collector with little experience I have to ask why the edge of the black centre is so "white" and without so much metal light? Thanks! ;-)

?

Quote by Lianyi View Post
    Thanks for both your replies! But as a collector with little experience I have to ask why the edge of the black centre is so "white" and without so much metal light? Thanks! ;-)
    If you mean the beading it's because it still has the original frosting on it. There were a couple of ways to frost the beading but one way was that the un-assembled frame was coated with rhodium and the the flanges were polished thus leaving the white frosting on the beading.
    Another way was to use a 'frosting pencil' and paint the frosting on the beading.

Here is an example with hand applied frosting using the 'frosting pencil'.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hi again! Real or fake on this cased EK1 marked 26  

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    If you mean the beading it's because it still has the original frosting on it. There were a couple of ways to frost the beading but one way was that the un-assembled frame was coated with rhodium and the the flanges were polished thus leaving the white frosting on the beading.
    Another way was to use a 'frosting pencil' and paint the frosting on the beading.
    Ah alles klar dann. Thanks Adrian!
    Regards,
    Lianyi
    Last edited by Lianyi; 02-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.

?

It 's a nice set ! not just because cross and case are original and nice but because case match the cross so the set is right for this manufacturer.
    I don't know if the set comes from the hoard because cross has some rust but maybe not all sets were immaculate..

Quote by fabri View Post
    It 's a nice set ! not just because cross and case are original and nice but because case match the cross so the set is right for this manufacturer.
    I don't know if the set comes from the hoard because cross has some rust but maybe not all sets were immaculate..
    I was going to ask exactly that, I thought Hoard items were pristine!

Anyway a fantastic set

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Maybe not all hoard crosses are minty? Maybe some got a whif of humidity/damp over the years? In any case i'd love to know the true story of the 'Russian Hoard'. To my mind it wouldn't be out of the question that someone got access to a bunch of good '26' fakes, created the hoard myth and made a killing on the deal.

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    To my mind it wouldn't be out of the question that someone got access to a bunch of good '26' fakes, created the hoard myth and made a killing on the deal.
    I've never seen or come across any Russian Hoard EK1 that didn't match or conform to known 'non' hoard EK1s from this maker........
    Getting access to or even manufacturing that many perfect fake crosses and cases that have withstood the scrutiny of the EK collecting community would not be quite so easy.

Not all the hoard EK1s were dead perfect and minty. There are some that show signs of deterioration, the frosting not quite so good, the frames not so shiny, core showing signs of rust etc. I can only guess that these pieces were exposed to the elements in some small way, those on the outside, or on the ground for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast