Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes

Article about: Hello everyone, I just wanted to take a minute and post a knights cross for your consideration that came into my possession from an old collection. I believe that this one is an older reprod

Default Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a minute and post a knights cross for your consideration that came into my possession from an old collection. I believe that this one is an older reproduction (which is how it was sold to me), as it displays very convincing wear, however the Junker maker mark is not stamped in the correct fashion. The core of the cross is very magnetic, and it is marked 800 on the frame. If it did not have the “2” mark on frame I think it would be much more convincing, however I am unsure if someone could have added this mark later. The suspension loop is marked 65 for Klein & Quenzer. I tried to get clear shots of the cross with slightly out of date camera so I hope these photos will suffice. I would be extremely appreciative to hear your thoughts on this piece, although I do not have high hopes for it being anything more than a nice place holder.

Kindest regards, Andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes   Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes  

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes   Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes  

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes   Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes
    P
    Many

From what little I know, I believe the "2" is laying on the wrong side.
    Also, on the wrong side of the frame in relation to the ring.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

TWS
    ?

I agree with Ralph that the "lazy 2" is on the wrong side of the suspension ring, but I have read that the "2" can be laying on it's back or on it's face (more rare).

I've also heard to look for distortion to the frame opposite the mark. If the mark was added later (after the cross was fully assembled) it would tend to distort the frame.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks for the responses! The placement of the 2 on the wrong side of the suspension loop is what threw me off. I actually like the look of the cross itself as far as the wear being natural and not contrived as is seen on a lot of the fake crosses. I'm still not holding my breath on this one but whatever it is, it certainly appears to have some age to it.

I have done a little more digging and I agree, the number 2 can be on it's back, or front.
    But, I don't feel that this number "2" matches the number stamp used on a real Juncker RK.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the the input. I agree that the font of the 2 does not match up with other examples on original crosses. Another thing that put me off is that on original Juncker crosses the 800 stamp is not centered below the suspension loop, but is stamped off center to the right. That is why I thought it could have been stamped at a later date than the silver mark.