Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with entries in a SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch

Article about: Hi folks, I have recently bought a soldbuch to what looks like Oberscharfuhrer Wilhelm Spreuger (a standard Heer soldbuch, not an SS one) who served with VT regiment Germania, the SS- Gebirg

?

Default Help with entries in a SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch

Hi folks,

I have recently bought a soldbuch to what looks like Oberscharfuhrer Wilhelm Spreuger (a standard Heer soldbuch, not an SS one) who served with VT regiment Germania, the SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment 11 "Reinhard Heydrich", 6. SS-Gebirgs-Division "Nord" and I would really appreciate some help with the entries.

Could anyone tell me what ‘M.K.’ company means?

Help with the awards page would be appreciated, I think the second entry is Sudetenland medal but I’m not even sure of that.

Wouldn’t he have been awarded the ‘winterschlacht im osten 1941/42 medal’?

Many thanks in advance,

Russ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch   Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch  

Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch   Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch  

Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch   Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch
    P
    Many

Hi there.

Great Soldbuch, thanks for sharing it with us.

M.K stands for Musikkorp and on page 3 he has three entries for music corp. page 4, section D you can see he was in Musikkorps Begl Batl RF - SS

This is how I’m reading the award entries -

1.5.1939 - österreich Medaille = Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 13. März 1938 (Austrian Anschluss medal)

15.6.1939 - Sudetenland Medaille = Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1.Oktober 1938 (Sudetenland Medal)

14.12.1939 - 4 jahre Dienstauszeichnung = Dienstauszeichnung iv klasse für 4 jahre dienstzeit in der Wehrmacht (The Wehrmacht Long Service Award fourth class)

10.4.1944 - Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2 klasse mit schwertern (war merit cross 2nd class with swords)

As for the OST medal being awarded, it really depended where he was during the qualification period. If he was in the music corp, I guess he missed a lot of the fighting and this could reflect on what is entered on his awards page.

Is there anything on his wounds and illnesses page.

?

Thanks for that great reply Willmore and for taking the time to get back to me!

I did notice the music corps entries but I couldn't imagine a musician fighting in Finland and Northern Russia as I assume that's where he was......unless this wasn't the case?? Pages 12 and 13 (the wounds and illnesses pages) are empty and I would have expected at least some injuries.

I remember reading a book called 'Black Edelweiss' by Johann Voss some 10 years ago, which was about a soldier from the very same regiment as Spreuger; a book which I will be re-reading very shortly and I don't seem to remember musicians featuring very highly.

Thanks again Willmore,

Russ

No problem Russ.

Yeah it’s an interesting one. I’m really not sure about the Music Corp units, but I would assume they would have had a ceremonial role away from the front. For example on page 6 of the Soldbuch his unit - SS-Gebirgsjäger-Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Batallion 6 appears to have been found inside the borders of Germany and didn’t fight in combat until late 1944. So I am wondering that as the situation got worse and musicians were not needed, he was transferred to the training and replacement Battalion in preparation for his transfer to a frontline unit.

Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Bataillon 6? - Axis History Forum

6. SS-Gebirgsjager-Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Bataillon - Einheiten der Waffen-SS - Forum der Wehrmacht

I’m not that well versed in Soldbuch deciphering, so hopefully some of our members with far better knowledge then me will be able to help further!

I’ve have heard a few people mention that book and how good it is, so might have to add it to my list.

I’m happy to have helped Russ, I just wish I knew more and could help further!
    Last edited by Willmore; 03-06-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Jan
    ?

A very interesting Soldbuch and one that´s related to my PhD research.

If you decide to sell it I will buy it. Here´s a picture of the Nord Musik Korps during a parade in Hanko S. Finland in 1943.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch  

?

Thanks again Willmore, I really appreciate your input!

Thanks for the offer Jan but I've only owned it a day! But if I do sell it you will definitely be the first person I'll offer it to.

In the meantime would you like me to post photos of the rest of the soldbuch if you think it will help with your research?

Russ

Jan
    ?

Please share the pics of the pages, I would be very grateful indeed. Please email them to my university email jan.fast@helsinki.fi

Congrats for accuiring this historic item

Best, Jan

?

Hi Jan,

I've e-mailed the photos through to you at the above e-mail address; there are 16 in all and they are attached to two e-mails titled Spreuger and Spreuger1.

I hope they are of interest and prove useful for your PhD

Regards,

Russ

Jan
    ?

Thanks. Very kind of you to help me out here. I will possibly be able to provide some more photos of the Nord Musik Korps. Let´s stay in touch.

Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

I have now started researching the pages in the Soldbuch that is of interest for my PhD research. Does anyone know what kind of shirt an "Br(-)zzinhemd Trikot." might be. Could it be parade related?

Best, Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast