Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Help with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualty

Article about: Hi all, I've just bought a really nice Battle of Britain casualty flugbuch to a Unteroffizier Wilhelm Heckers, the pilot of a Ju88 from III/KG77 and would appreciate some help interpreting s

?

Default Help with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualty

Hi all,

I've just bought a really nice Battle of Britain casualty flugbuch to a Unteroffizier Wilhelm Heckers, the pilot of a Ju88 from III/KG77 and would appreciate some help interpreting some of the writing/notes particularly the departure and landing airfield, the purpose of the flight (which in most cases is 'frontflieger') and the 'remarks' column.

Heckers (mis-spelt Hekers) is mentioned in the book 'The Battle of Britain: Then and Now' (page 698) noting that his aircraft is believed to have been brought down by AA fire during an attack on London on Friday October 25th 1940.

For some reason I cannot access the Volksbund online grave search so I had hoped that a member may be able to tell me if Uffz. Heckers has a known grave and if so I would really appreciate it's location?

Lastly, any help with the location of the crash site would be greatly appreciated.

Just one last question, here in the UK we have access to RAF Operational Record Books which list information such as Unit (ie. Squadron number) type of aircraft, aircraft serial number, crew list, target, purpose of flight etc...is there any equivalent for Luftwaffe Squadrons? and if so is it possible to access them?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Russ

PS. I apologise in advance but I have no idea how to rotate those photos which are on their side.

Help with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualty
    P
    Many

I believe that the Luftwaffe destroyed almost all of it's documentation towards the end of the war so such things as ORB's are not available in any detail.
    There is no mention of his unit losing any aircraft on UK soil for that date and no mention of a Heckers (or Hekers) in Luftwaffe Crash Archive which documents every Luftwaffe aircraft that crashed on UK soil but he is in the Volksbund and is buried in France (name is spelt Hekers). And judging by his period casualty card, also Hekers, his aircraft made it back to France and crashed there at a place called Rozet.

Help with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualtyHelp with interpreting the notes in a Flugbuch to a Battle of Britain casualty

?

Thanks for your reply hucks216,

Both of his logbooks have his name spelt without the 'c', ie. Hekers as has the 'Battle of Britain Then and Now' entry which to be fair doesn't say that he crashed in the UK but just that he failed to return.

However, it does concern me that all his citations have his name spelt incorrectly as 'Heckers' so could this mean that they aren't genuine? In hand they definitely feel genuine to me but I'm by no means an expert!

Russ

It's quite common for names to be misspelt. Your citations look fine.