Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Kennkarte

Article about: Hello, hope this is the right spot for Kennkarte evaluation! I have this Kennkarte in my possession and I'm particularly interested firstly, in the provenance - is there any way easy ways to

tkz
    ?

Default Kennkarte

Hello, hope this is the right spot for Kennkarte evaluation!

I have this Kennkarte in my possession and I'm particularly interested firstly, in the provenance - is there any way easy ways to detect forgeries, either modern or by resistance? Also in the 'red script' (which I am struggling to translate) and 'red stripe' are they symbolic of something? Finally, were they only issued 1939 to 1943? As this one is dated 1944.

KennkarteKennkarte
    KennkarteKennkarte
    Kennkarte

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kennkarte
    P
    Many

Tkz; The Kennkarte was issued to a Polish woman, who was born in Wilno (now Vilnius), Poland, on 28 June 1917. The Kennkarte was issued in Bromberg (Bydgoszcz, Poland) on 17 December 1944 with an expiration date of 16 December 1949. There was originally a photo of her on the right page, but it has been removed. She was classified as an office worker. I do not know the significance of the red stripe. It might have signified the class of worker she was in. I don’t think it is a cancellation stripe because of the way the ends fold into the inner document. The stripe appears to have been put there when the Reichsdruckerei in Berlin printed the form in June 1943. I cannot make-out the words that are stamped in red in the Remarks (Bermerkungen) section. This document certainly looks genuine to me. Dwight

I sent a photo of the Kennkarte to a friend in Germany who knows about these things. He said that the red stripe denotes that the holder was Polish and the red stamp in the Remarks section is Schutzangehöriger ( eingegliederte Ostgebiete) that offerred protection to someone who was considered German-friendly in the Integrated Eastern Territories. Dwight

tkz
    ?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Tkz; The Kennkarte was issued to a Polish woman, who was born in Wilno (now Vilnius), Poland, on 28 June 1917. The Kennkarte was issued in Bromberg (Bydgoszcz, Poland) on 17 December 1944 with an expiration date of 16 December 1949. There was originally a photo of her on the right page, but it has been removed. She was classified as an office worker. I do not know the significance of the red stripe. It might have signified the class of worker she was in. I don’t think it is a cancellation stripe because of the way the ends fold into the inner document. The stripe appears to have been put there when the Reichsdruckerei in Berlin printed the form in June 1943. I cannot make-out the words that are stamped in red in the Remarks (Bermerkungen) section. This document certainly looks genuine to me. Dwight
    Quote by drmessimer View Post
    I sent a photo of the Kennkarte to a friend in Germany who knows about these things. He said that the red stripe denotes that the holder was Polish and the red stamp in the Remarks section is Schutzangehöriger ( eingegliederte Ostgebiete) that offerred protection to someone who was considered German-friendly in the Integrated Eastern Territories. Dwight
    Dear Dwight,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive and clear reply & please pass on my sincere thanks to your friend in Germany.

Actually, the lady in question has a very complex history, where she was either Polish or British, this led me to believe she was likely operating as a spy in Poland. Therefore, my instinct is that this was issued to the lady by the Polish Government in Exile in order to operate within occupied Poland - I guess if they wanted to make it 'easy' they would state the person was 'Schutzangehöriger (eingegliederte Ostgebiete)'. Of course it is now very difficult to corroborate or research her story in more depth!