Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)

Article about: As usual please add anything you see or give any corrections where necessary, it’s appreciated. Here we have a late war Wehrpass, to a soldier who served with nebelwerfer and nabelwerfer t

Default Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)

As usual please add anything you see or give any corrections where necessary, it’s appreciated.

Here we have a late war Wehrpass, to a soldier who served with nebelwerfer and nabelwerfer training units in German and Russia.

The Wehrpass was opened on the 17th of August 1942 in Kassel. Karl Homann, who was conscripted (dienstplichtiger), was born on the 2nd of December 1925 in Hemeln, Germany. He was an unskilled sawmill worker (ungelernt / Holzfabrikarbeiter), his religion was evangelical and he was single. He swore his oath on the 31st of August 1943.

Service-
    After initial training with Stm. W. Ers. Abt. 3 in Bremen, he was assigned to 2nd companie, then 1st company of Werf. Ers. u. Ausb. Abt. 3, also based in Bremen. He served January to February 1944 with Werfer Regiment 71, an independent unit operating in Italy at the time (but didn’t join them).
    February to March 1944 he served with another nabelwerfer training unit in Germany, then in April 1944 he was transferred to (s.) Werfer Regiment 52, a heavy independent nabelwerfer unit operating in Russia. As noted in the Wehrpass - Eastern Campaign (exact designations for the engagements have not yet been announced).
    It was while he was serving with this Regiment in Russia that he was severely injured on the 2nd May 1944 (Shell splinters/shrapnel to the top of the thigh, back and left forearm, - broken thigh due to the shrapnel). He was repatriated to Reserve Lazarett IV Krakau on the 5th of May 1944 and it was noted that the wound was seriously infected - septicemia, inflammation of the hip joint and blood clots in the leg. He died of his wounds at 16.45 on the 8th of July 1944. Cause of death was septicemia and circulatory breakdown - what is refereed to as Sepsis/blood poisoning.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)   Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)  

Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)   Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)  

Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)   Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)  

Last edited by Willmore; 03-14-2023 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)
    P
    Many

Complete unit list-
    31.8.43 - 4.9.43 - Stamm-Kompanie Werfer Ersatz und Ausbildungs Abteilung 3
    5.9.43 - 15.12.43 - 2./ Werfer Ersatz und Ausbildungs Abteilung 3 Bremen
    16.12.43 - 3.1.44 - 1./ Werfer Ersatz und Ausbildungs Abteilung 3
    4.1.44 - 1.2.44 - 2./ Werfer Regtiment 71
    2.2.44 - 25.2.44 - 1./ Marschkompanie Werfer Ersatz und Ausbildungs Abteilung 3
    26.2.44 - 31.3.44 - 44./ Marschkompanie
    1.4.1944 - 2.7.1944 - 1. (s.) / Werfer Regiment 52 ????? (1./schwere-Werfer-Rgt 52)
    3.7.43 - 8.7.44 - Werfer Ersatz Abteilung 3

Werfer-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 3
    Nebel-Ersatz-Abteilung 3 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    Werfer Regiment 71
    Werfer-Regiment 71 (Tropen) - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    Nebel-Werfer-Regiment 52
    Werfer-Regiment 52 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

*Thanks to hucks216 for help with some unit abbreviations too!

Training - (Small arms and courses)
    Gewehr 98k
    15cm Nbl. Wfr li

Promotions -
    Kanonier

He received the following award -
    19.6.1944 - EKII

Details from the Volksbund-
    Surname:
    Homann
    Forename:
    Karl
    Kanonier
    Date of birth:
    Place of birth:
    Hameln
    Date of death/becoming missing:
    Place of death/becoming missing:
    Res.Laz.IV.Krakau

Karl Homann is buried in the military cemetery in Krakau / Krakow prepared by the Volksbund.
    The name and personal data of the person named above are also recorded in the cemetery's memorial book.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)   Wehrpass - Nebelwerfer units - Died of wounds (Verstorben)  

Last edited by Willmore; 01-14-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Another interesting WP. Here is his record on Ancestry

Thank you for the casualty card BlackCat I appreciate it!

I find it interesting how he was awarded the EK2 six weeks after he was wounded. I’m wondering if it was given to him because of the severe nature of his injuries.

?

Good research. Poor kid. He died just before the uprising in Warsaw.

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Thank you for the casualty card BlackCat I appreciate it!

I find it interesting how he was awarded the EK2 six weeks after he was wounded. I’m wondering if it was given to him because of the severe nature of his injuries.
    It is more than likely the reason.

I made a mistake on the dates from page 11.

He swore his oath on the 4th of September 1943, not the 31st of August 1943.

The 31st of August was when he began his general military service.
    Last edited by Willmore; 01-15-2021 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Mistake on my part.

?

Thanks for sharing. Nice pass. Only 9 months of duty and so young. If I understand it good, he suffered 2 months with sepsis? That's a long period, I think shortly before he died the sepsis came?

Hi Scoloo.

Thank you for the comment.

It is a sad story for sure and not very nice to read about his injuries.

The way I understand it, on the piece of paper (Abschrift Reserve-Lazarette IV Krakau), where it says verwunding krankheit, is where his condition was noted when he arrived at hospital and where it says todesursache tells us the cause of death.

When he arrived at the hospital, he was suffering from severe injuries that seemed to be infected (Septicopyemia, inflammation of the hip joint and blood clots in the leg). It looks like the injuries would not heal, the infection became worse which eventually overwhelmed him and caused his death two months later.

Sepsis is the body’s overwhelming and life-threatening response to infection that can lead to tissue damage, organ failure, and death. In other words, it’s your body’s overactive and toxic response to an infection.
    What is Sepsis | Sepsis Alliance

Verwunding, krankheit -

Granatsplitter linkes Oberschenkel, rücken und linkes Unterarm, Markphlegmone Oberschenkel Schuß fracktur, eitrige thrombophlebitis coxitis septicopyemia

Shell splinter/shrapnel left thigh, back and left forearm, Marrow cellulitis (infection in the bone marrow), thigh shot fracture, purulent thrombophlebitis coxitis septicopyemia

Todensurache -

Septicopyämie kreislaufzusammenbruch

Cause of death -

Septicopyemia circulatory breakdown
    Last edited by Willmore; 03-14-2023 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo