Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?

Article about: Hello all, I have a small group of documents to Heinrich Homeyer, who served as a farrier with several Infantry and Veterinary units in France, Russia and the Balkan states. His last unit no

Default Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?

Hello all,

I have a small group of documents to Heinrich Homeyer, who served as a farrier with several Infantry and Veterinary units in France, Russia and the Balkan states. His last unit noted in the Wehrpass is 54.Turkestan-Tragtier-Kolonne (mule train column) of the 100th Jäger Division, active against partisans (page 33 of the Wehrpass), ‘bekämpfung der bandenkampf in Südostraum Albanien bei 100. Jag. Div.’

The group consists of a Zweitschrift Wehrpass (25.5.43) Soldbuch (3.2.42)

A letter from the Chamber of handicrafts, that his workshop was destroyed by an air raid on 10.12.43. Although he was granted leave from the army, the reconstruction of the building has not yet been finished. Prolongation of the leave is therefore recommended, as the firm carries out important work for the war industry (20.12.43). A hand written letter, signed by Heinrich, himself (27.7.42) and twelve photos of civilian/barrack life.

On page 46 of the Zweitschrift Wehrpass it states - A replacement had to be issued because the original was destroyed with the 6 Armee. Or it was "Reissue" because he was a member of the former 6th Army. (Dated 25.5.43).

Units

5.9.38 - 3.12.38 - 15. E. Komp. I. R. 74
    28.8.39 - 26.4.40 - ? . Inf. Div. 267
    27.4.40 - 18.4.41 - Vet. Komp. 267
    2.2.42 - 2.2.42 - 3./ I. E. B. 191/9 (3./ Inf. Ers. Btl. 191/9)
    3.2.42 - 2.3.42 - 3. ? . Btl. 295/1
    3.3.42 ........... - Stab. Feld.Ers. Btl. 295/1
    ..........- 25.9.42 - ?. Komp. Gr. Ers. Batl. 348
    26.9.42 - 25.1.43 - 3./ Vet.Ers.Abt. 11
    26.1.43 - 11.5.43 Lehr abt. Fahr truppen schule (fahr - lehr ?)
    12.5.43 - 11.9.43 - 3./ Vet. Ers. u. Ausb. Abt. 11
    19.9.43 - - 54./ Turkestan-Tragtier-Kolonne

Could anyone confirm my translation of his units and my assumption that he was involved in the battle of Stalingrad. I’m thinking if he was involved, it was in a support role outside of the city.

I can post more pictures of the Wehrpass/Soldbuch and other bits if needed,

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?   Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?  

Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?   Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?
    P
    Many

Wounds/illnesses page..

There is nothing recorded in the Wehrpass. In the Soldbuch I can translate some non combat entries.

29.3.42 ?

3.5.42 - Fleckfieber - Typhus

....12-Other contagious diseases

5.6.42.....8-Fleckfieber - Thphus

12.6.42....8-Fleckfieber - Thphus

27.9.43....2-Dysentery
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?  
    Last edited by Willmore; 10-10-2020 at 01:23 AM.

A nicely "fleshed out" couple of documents - a farrier was so important to the non-mechanised German elements of the Wehrmacht
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Great comment Danmark! When most people think of the German army during World War Two, they think of ‘Blitzkrieg’ and tanks etc, but the truth was very different.

Here is an interesting article I found on the subject - Forgotten Fact: Nazi Germany Used Cavalry in World War II

Forgotten Fact: Nazi Germany Used Cavalry in World War II | The National Interest

He might of been in the region of Stalingrad but not for long. In February & March 1942 he was with units of 295.Infanterie-Division and he stayed with a training unit of the division until September 1942. The main combat parts of the division were in the region of Mamaev Kurgan before pushing towards the Red October factory although he would of been further back than that. But on the 25th September he was transferred away to a veterinary training unit which is why his Wehrpass stayed in Stalingrad and he didn't as the admin in 295.Infanterie-Division never got round to forwarding it on to his new unit before they were captured in the pocket.

Thanks hucks I appreciate that.

I’ve had some help with the Soldbuch and the first injury is Erfrierung 2e, rechten Grosszehe. Frostbite second degree on his right big toe (March 29th 1942 in Dnjepropetrovsk). This was when he was with Infanterie Regiment 517, 295.ID

The Road to Stalingrad 295
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass/Soldbuch group - Stalingrad link?  
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-06-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Yep, Inf.Rg 517 explains the gap in the dates in the Wehrpass - he would of gone from 295.ID's training unit (Feldersatz.Btl) to Inf.Rgt 517 but that has been left out of the Wehrpass unit entries.
    And looks like he went in to the hospital system in May 1942 and stayed there until August when he was assigned to an Ersatz unit in the homeland.

He was very lucky to have been hospitalised and have missed the Stalingrad debacle, that’s for sure.

?

Hi Will,

do you still have the Wehrpass? Do you know his day of birth?

I know that there was a "Heinrich Homeyer" in 5.Kompanie Grenadierregiment 517 in Stalingrad, but i thought he died in september 1942...

if he really is from GR 517, I realy would love to see the Wehrpass in total especially if he was farrier - my grandmothers uncle was with the Stab/GR 517 as Veterinär

kind regards

Quote by Melax View Post
    Hi Will,

do you still have the Wehrpass? Do you know his day of birth?

I know that there was a "Heinrich Homeyer" in 5.Kompanie Grenadierregiment 517 in Stalingrad, but i thought he died in september 1942...

if he really is from GR 517, I realy would love to see the Wehrpass in total especially if he was farrier - my grandmothers uncle was with the Stab/GR 517 as Veterinär

kind regards
    Hi Melax.

That is really interesting about your grandmothers uncle.

I still have the group in my collection, but I am away from home for a month so can't add any additional photos of the Wehrpass unfortunately.

I do have a couple of photos of him on my computer I can add for now, then when I am back home I will post up more from his Wehrpass.

After further research it looks like he is one the countless soldiers who died in captivity after the War ended.

Name: Wilhelm Heinrich August Homeyer
    Date of birth: 23.07.1913
    Place of birth: Hannover
    Death/missing date: 30.10.1945
    Death/missing place: Belgrad
    Service rank: Gefreiter

Wilhelm Heinrich August Homeyer has not yet been transferred to a military cemetery established by the War Graves Commission. According to the information available to us, his grave is currently still at the following location: Beograd Centralno groblje - Serbien

Kind regards,

Will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast