Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

hello, thank you for your help. well sometimes unfortunately, due to an accident my eyes tend to make my environment too bright or a bit dark. This sometimes makes it difficult for me to see if the colours are correct or not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

?

Default Help

I just received these photos as a gift. I have a little doubt about her. They are UV negative and no printer scan marks.

The subject and the look of all of your pictures appear fine to me Spring. There is nothing here that raises any red flags.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The subject and the look of all of your pictures appear fine to me Spring. There is nothing here that raises any red flags.

Thank you for your help cat. This way my doubts are cleared up. I find the little blurred aspect of some photos disturbing.

?

Hi, I just noticed something. And it's bothering me. I would like to know if this agfa brovira tampon is correctly positioned, at least it should not be tilted (first picture). Would you have an explanation of why and how this stamp is used, perhaps at the time of cutting at the end of the paper roll ? The last photo is for comparison (I am finding the stamp and I think we are finding it again). Very often with this inclination). forget the photo with the agfa-lupex stamp
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

?

Default the formas of the photographs

Hi, could you give me the formas of the photographs (all if possible according to the most known brands) agfa lupex-brovira, Gevaert, rida, Velox... thanks in advance

?

This post will have an analysis of some of my examples to help anyone avoid purchasing photomechanically printed garbage like the aforementioned, and to express the importance of using additional analysis tools that are common across the hobby.
    A magnifying lens and usb microscope are valuable tools for assessing a multitude of items that frequent this forum. The digital scanner is another useful tool namely for checking a photographs authenticity, and being able to scan them into a digital collection where the subjects details can be better viewed.

Introduction:
    The two photos below are the subjects reviewed in this post. Neither made me more suspicious than what I observe every photograph with. These looked decent besides a less sharp contrast-maybe due to subject movement in each; nothing screamed as a red flag until later when I seemed to remember seeing the right example in a book. The quality appears worse when shot with a phone compared to in-person. Both printed on period photo paper and UV negative. The left, printed on Leonar paper although the surviving stockpile of this paper made it incredibly popular for making prints even into the 1960s. The other photograph is printed on unmarked photo paper with a deckle edge (this can be an additional determinant of authenticity although I will not bring up this particular edge cut in this reference).

The true colors of the photographs emerged after being scanned at 1200dpi (the set resolution I most often use). The first photo appears with a mesh pattern layered within the image. The second image came out with a slightly different look, it appears heavily pixelated until you zoom in and this pixelation becomes a tight mesh pattern. The mesh pattern is intact not a mesh but the dot pattern of a half-tone that is the basis of the discussion. As noted, this is what I would say are examples of half-tone prints.

This is the unfriendly view of the dot pattern you do not want to see while observing a photograph under a microscope. Both photographs are viewed this way under the usb microscope.

Conclusion:
    Half-tone printing is the most common and easily identifiable type of photomechanical printing. Historically, this was common for printing pictures in newspapers. It has also been popular for creating reprints and counterfeits of artwork. The most common method for the first half of the 20th Century was gelatin-silver printing. Some albumen printing remained along with gelatin-silver printing as the top processes to have photographs developed. These are strictly chemically printed processes using the original negative.

by now i found out that many things are fake in the world of collecting WW2 but that also original pictures are made fake is a surprise for me ( and thinking about it I should have known it ) . What I am wondering now, suppose also complete albums are made fake ? or if one finds a complete album it is more likely to be real ? ( already fear that the answer will be yes also.... )

?

Geez, to me it looks like they are marked 'Repro' and the Russians always reprinted photo's, especially press pictures..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast