Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Quote by Danger View Post
    Hi Guys,

Could I please get your opinions on these?

Thanks,

Danger
    Just look at the first page of this thread. Post #2.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

?

Then it is as I feared.
    All fake?

Hi Danger.

These are referred to as Russian Archive fakes. The stamp on the first picture and the pencil scribbles are typical.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Quote by Danger View Post
    Then it is as I feared.
    All fake?
    They look like brothers, seems they have a common maker.

?

The obverse on some of those do not look as yellow and waxy as many Russian archive fakes. All of them still look odd and are horribly grainy. The deckled edge on the bottom of everyone is exactly the same except some are merely shifted a couple millimeters. There are not many differences in the other three edges on any of the photos…

?

Hello, I too was recently scammed making a few purchases from Ebay, first off, I usually only buy pics from a few sellers that have gained my trust and have very historical images, some rare, the seller of these first waited for weeks to supposedly send the picture, during that time she listed the same photo I had purchased for sale again, I had to send her a note stating so, when I received the third photo first I was puzzled, it seems to me to be a scan on some type of paper, I usually scan my photo's in 1200dpi to get better detail and send them to the group for a future book project, I was dismayed at the results, I never received the first two pics until I filed a claim with Ebay, and a week ago, two full months later they arrived, same type Fake IMO, seems the seller may have some problems, as they removed all of their inventory from the site, you can see the Moiré (Moiré can also occur in printed materials, such as magazines or books, when the printing pattern interacts with the halftone pattern used to create the image. The result is a visible pattern that can detract from the overall quality of the image or text) the stamp on the back is barely visible, I had to darken the light to see it, just be careful who you deal with, G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Sounds like another dodgy seller on fleabay. I would guess that the photos provided in the listing were done in a way that would not arouse suspicion. Hopefully you received a refund for all of them, G. Looks like more photomechanical printed junk photos to me. Not sure on the deal with the photo paper other than it is “Agfa-Lupex” it appears.

?

yes the paper is an AGFA-LUPEX post war paper.

?

in my opinion, to prevent many people from being fooled. You'd have to list all the techniques for spotting a real photo from a fake with illustrations. I'm doing just that in my book on the subject.

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Hello, I too was recently scammed making a few purchases from Ebay, first off, I usually only buy pics from a few sellers that have gained my trust and have very historical images, some rare, the seller of these first waited for weeks to supposedly send the picture, during that time she listed the same photo I had purchased for sale again, I had to send her a note stating so, when I received the third photo first I was puzzled, it seems to me to be a scan on some type of paper, I usually scan my photo's in 1200dpi to get better detail and send them to the group for a future book project, I was dismayed at the results, I never received the first two pics until I filed a claim with Ebay, and a week ago, two full months later they arrived, same type Fake IMO, seems the seller may have some problems, as they removed all of their inventory from the site, you can see the Moiré (Moiré can also occur in printed materials, such as magazines or books, when the printing pattern interacts with the halftone pattern used to create the image. The result is a visible pattern that can detract from the overall quality of the image or text) the stamp on the back is barely visible, I had to darken the light to see it, just be careful who you deal with, G
    Sorry to see that you have been caught out. The picture clearly appears to be a scanned copy, the sepia tone of the image indicative of a print from a colour printer made in b/w.

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast