Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Default Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how to ID a Fake or Post-war photo.
    I figured it was time to make a thread that is informative by showing examples of known fake photographs/etc. I know this info may be obvious for some, but alot of our members need help in this area. Even frequent photo buyers still come across fakes once in a while!

BUT....mainly I started this so members can post photos that they have a question about originality on. So, if you are about to make a photo purchase, and want to get some friendly advice on originality....feel free to post em' here so mistakes can be prevented.

***What to post (if possible):
    - Reverse (whether marked or not)
    - Obverse
    - Edges/border (to see the cut of the photo paper )

Site with GREAT information on Wartime Photos + Paper:
    fake02e

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Hopefully other photo collectors can join with some added info!

First, is the infamous Russian Archive Fake!
    - Yellowish hue to the paper and border
    - Usually have russian writing on back, but sometimes just a penciled scribble
    - Postcard sized or slightly larger
    - Most have a Waxy feel to them
    - Usually "sexy" images....tanks, SS, Panzertruppe, high ranking TR personas,etc
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

?

Great idea, Bill! I know I've been the victim of the fakers! I HAVE however learned many red flags to look out for such as:
    -Fake "AGFA- LUPEX" , "AGFA- BROVIRA" marks (poorly stamped)
    -Border serration is fresh looking.
    -UV light glow
    -known ebay dealers ,ie. "Adolffe" Tolzor" and others..
    - poor image qulity( like it was copied from another source)

These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I hope this can help out a little for this thread ,Bill.
    ~Cheers,Dean
    Last edited by Dean; 03-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.

?

The "Adolf Muller Fake"
    (modern printed) UV positive

-These fakes will have a fake atelier/studio stamp
    - Most have "flimsy" style paper
    - Usually sized around 10x7
    -NOT always "sexy" images!
    - obverse is actually very good, and made to decieve!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

?

Oh yeah..those are familiar! They usually but not always use the famous personalities of the TR era.Here's some I got before, too.

Attached Images Attached Images Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs 

?

reverse

?

The "Gray Fake"
    (UV NEGATIVE!!) - False maker stamps - 6x9 & 10x7 styles

-The image/obverse will appear "gray" or lacking saturation
    - Paper is slightly thicker than normal 6x9s + 10x7s
    - The paper maker, in this case "Mimosa Kiel" are fake and are hand-stamped on the reverse
    (please note that other paper maker stamps can be used in place)

**one thing to notice here, is that the maker stamps do NOT match. One is just slightly crooked compared to the other one. Human error, being that they are Hand-stamped.

*** This is a real photo paper company, but "Mimosa Kiel" was a post-war photo paper manufacturer. The wartime factory of Mimosa, was not moved to Kiel until after the war...becoming "Mimosa Kiel". The fakers obviously did not know this, and used the stamp anyway.

Last edited by Bill T; 03-06-2012 at 05:58 AM.

I saw the heavy-set guy with the SS helmet in post #5 for sale
    just last week. Good idea this thread - many of the ones
    already posted would have fooled me.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

The "Typewriter Fake"
    (UV Positive) - Slightly smaller than Postcard Size

Dean has posted this already, but here are the details:

- Thick paper
    - Fake Maker Stamps (hand-stamped)
    - Typewriter printed lettering- (names, descriptions, etc)
    **Please note the fake maker stamps again.....they are NOT aligned properly, Human error

These are now being processed WITHOUT the typewriter labeling....so be careful

?

This is all for tonight. But I will be adding more examples to this thread regularly, and continue to try and keep up with the fakes.

UV/Blacklight Tips:
    * Purchase a hand-held blacklight, wartime photos should be UV Negative. HOWEVER....alot of wartime/period photos will have "spotting" or traces of glow, as most were glued to albums or had contact with different materials over the years.

* Some fakes WILL NOT GLOW!
    what to do if concerned: -Take your fingernail to the corner of the photo paper. Split the corner of the paper in half and pull back the layer. Now put your UV light on it......it will normally react!
    (alot of these fakers know about the UV test, and will use chemicals or other ways to kill the UV reaction, however this will usually not be the case with the middle layer of the photo paper)

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast