Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

BERGHOF?? BERCHTESGADEN picture

Article about: Hi guys Could anyone identify whether this is the Berghof or Bormanns house please Thanks Fraser

?

I believe the image posted by the OP is indeed the Berghof, and not any other building on the Obersalzberg (OSB). Compare the OP's image to an example I am including below:

BERGHOF?? BERCHTESGADEN picture
    (Please click to enlarge)
    Source: [Hitler's retreat, the Berghof, near Berchtesgaden] - UWDC - UW-Madison Libraries

I added a red square to the above example (dated 1938) showing the part roughly comparing to the OP's image. Note the flagpole, the window and the stone work detail visible in both, and also the protruding balcony edge visible in both images (this balcony was located on the front of the Berghof directly over the famous retractable picture window). These details and this specific building configuration do not match closely enough to be anything else but the Berghof, in my opinion.

Of course, by the end of the war the Berghof walls had been painted camouflage (proving ineffective) and the subsequent damage from the Royal Air Force bombing raid and fires set by retreating SS personnel changed the appearance - but in their own ways, also made identifying photos of the ruins more precise. As more unique detail is provided, at least when the image quality is sufficient for comparison purposes.

A point was made by another poster that the surrounding terrain may indicate the OP's image is of the Gasthaus zum Türken and not the Berghof. And there are similarities in that regard when looking at the images provided in the post zum Türken was mentioned in.

However, I do not believe the OP's image is zum Türken. For one thing, the Berghof was located very close to zum Türken. In fact, in the example Berghof image I included above, the fence seen in the lower left foreground is at zum Türken (it was in those days) and this picture of the Berghof was itself taken from the zum Türken building. So the terrain seen in the distance will be nearly identical between them both. Also, in person, the short distance between the two places is even more apparent; sometimes old photos can be misleading and make the Berghof appear as though nothing else was located nearby (or differentiate between the Berghof and the Adjutant Building immediately next to it but that is another story).

Finally, whatever the OP's image is confirmed as (by the seller or whomever), given the confusion between "Hitler's House" having been identified at various times as the Berghof, zum Türken, "Eagle's Nest" (really the Kehlsteinhaus that Hitler never lived at) and others, I would not give much credibility to a claimed location absent research & independent corroboration. Not that there is any bad faith intent by anyone to mislead here, only that there has been so much confusion since the end of the about this subject that images of it are misidentified at times (and even by some US & Allied troops on the scene).

I like a good mystery, too! Hope this information is helpful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BERGHOF?? BERCHTESGADEN picture
    P
    Many

It's the Berghof, 100%. It's the front terrace.

This photo shows it too, just from a slightly different angle.

Best,

Tom

He's the official Berchtesgaden tour guide
    Cheers

Thanks to all that commented
    Fraser

So much was destroyed on the mountain by the allied bombers. A pity really, because the intelligence the allies had that the Nazi leadership would make their last stand here was so wrong. I wonder what would have been saved if the planes never came?

If the eagles nest survives then maybe the Berghof could still be around perhaps? ......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2