Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Deciphering German writing on portrait

Article about: Hi guys, this one arrived today. The blue note about the poor bloke being KIA is all clear to me, but I'm stuck with the darker text. Is anyone able to read it? Thanks a lot!

CSW
    ?

Default Deciphering German writing on portrait

Hi guys,

this one arrived today. The blue note about the poor bloke being KIA is all clear to me, but I'm stuck with the darker text. Is anyone able to read it?

Thanks a lot!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deciphering German writing on portrait
    P
    Many

"Fuer die vielen Gruesse danke ich mit diesem Bild ganz herzlich....dein Freund, ....."
    "For the many greetings I thank you with all my heart with this picture...your friend,...."
    I can't make out the signed name...Perhaps "Gernot" or "Gerhard" (?)
    regards, Glenn

CSW
    ?

Quote by Volksdeutsch View Post
    "Fuer die vielen Gruesse danke ich mit diesem Bild ganz herzlich....dein Freund, ....."
    "For the many greetings I thank you with all my heart with this picture...your friend,...."
    I can't make out the signed name...Perhaps "Gernot" or "Gerhard" (?)
    regards, Glenn
    Thank you very much Glenn!

Are you sure about these parts being "ich", "herzlich" and "Freund"? I have a little bit of trouble seeing those words as the ones mentioned.

The top word isn't "Ich", it's "die" - "Fuer die vielen Gruesse bedanke ich mich " - , for the many Greetings ...
    I decipher "herzlich" - which basically means "from the heart"....
    The bottom word which I deciphered as "Freund" (Friend) could possibly be "Kamerad" instead...

Suetterlin Script can be challenging, especially handwritten Suetterlin...When I was a kid in Germany, I found a shoebox packed with WWI Feldpost Cards, all handwritten in Suetterlin and in pencil...I couldn't read it, but my German Oma did...That's how I learned to read/decipher it...they stopped teaching it in Germany back in the 1930s...
    regards, Glenn

CSW
    ?

Could you possibly show us where you see the "ich" part? If the one I sent earlier indeed is not "ich" but "die" (underlined in red) - which I definitely agree with, that is certainly not "ich" at least - there seems to be no "ich" anywhere on the text. Additionally, I believe there is an i or ΓΌ in the last word before the signature: notice the slightly garbled dot above the letters (underlined in blue).

Thanks!

That's about the best I can do, friend....At least you have the general meaning of the message...I've often noticed that in HANDWRITTEN Suetterlin, there'll be what appears (to us) as an apostrophe or the dot of an "i" above certain letters that are neither Umlauts nor the dots of an "i"....I only see this in handwritten script, not in printed Suetterlin....Might be a grammar rule I'm not familiar with...
    regards, Glenn

Totally agree with Glenn. The general meaning of the message it's clear.
    Good job, Mate.
    Santi

CSW
    ?

Sorry Glenn and Santi, I sincerely apologize for asking perhaps too many questions - sounding rude was not my intention at all. I'm merely a beginner and I absolutely do appreciate every single piece of information I can possibly receive. Therefore a huge "thank you" to you Glenn, you are certainly correct about the general idea of the meaning being the most important one. I would've been completely lost without your kind help
    Last edited by CSW; 03-30-2021 at 10:30 AM.