Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to fix creases on photographs?

Article about: I bought a large sized photograph that arrived today, damaged. It was in a cardboard package that got bent in three places during transport, so the photo has three creases running for the le

Default How to fix creases on photographs?

I bought a large sized photograph that arrived today, damaged. It was in a cardboard package that got bent in three places during transport, so the photo has three creases running for the length of the photo. It didn't help that the mailman stuffed it into the mailbox when it was clearly too big. But I think it was bent already, before he stuffed it into the mailbox. Most likely during transport.

Since, I guess, many of you fellow collectors had photos arriving damaged, bent or with creases, do you have any tips on how to fix it? And I mean on the physical photo itself, not using Photoshop or some other software.

I know nothing will make it so it looks like it never had creases, but I am hoping they can be straightened so they are at least not visible when the photo is scanned.

I tried ironing the photo on the lowest heat setting and then placed it under some heavy books. The ironing didn't help much. I will try a couple more times after it sits under books for a while.

I can't post photos because it's currently under books, but I can post the scan I made. I marked the creases on it.

Many thanks for any help and tips!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to fix creases on photographs?
    P
    Many

?

Wow, happens to me every once in awhile too, the book method is probably the best way, I wouldn't dare to iron a photo, too delicate, JMO, ..G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Hi there.

I am sorry this happened to you. I would definitely agree with G on this one that the book idea is the best way forward. I am actually using this method at the moment to get 'curves' out of about 20 photos.

Kind regards,

Will.

Thank you guys. For how long do you usually let the photo be under the books?

But I think the book method won't solve the problem. Creases will still be visible.
    Don't worry Gwar, I used the iron very carefully. I ironed only the back of the photo, and that not directly but placed a brown paper bag and then a paper tissue over the photo. The heat didn't damage the image in the front. It only heated up the paper (which is rather thick, not thin) and made the photo fold a bit, but when it cools down it's back to normal. But it didn't really remove the creases, perhaps made them a little less visible.

This is not the first time I had a photo arriving bent, but it's surely the most drastic case until now. I am always very annoyed when it happens, because in my opinion the photograph loses some value. I will have to warn my mailman not to stuff the large envelopes and cardboard packages into the mailbox the next time I see him. But there is nothing I can do when it's damaged during transport.

I have had mine in a book for nearly a week, but am planning for two weeks in total. I buy a lot of death cards and I often use the same method for getting creases out of any that get damaged in the post. I really hope it works out for you!

?

You could try placing it in a humidifier as is mentioned in the two links below. I have never tried it and it sounds tricky which is why everyone suggests to practice the method on test photographs. Otherwise, someone said a professional conservator could get the photo wet and manipulate the damaged areas with bone folders before compressing it under weight for a week.

Tips For Smoothing Out Old Photos With Curves | Futura Photo

Flattening Old Photos | Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS)

I have been lucky enough to avoid creases and wrinkles via the mail or other causes. Every photo I have that is not in an album is under a paper weight at all times unless I am looking at it. I have strictly followed this practice after many photos naturally curved into parabolic arcs while on the shelf. They have always straightened out under a couple books, even one that experienced the hot sun on the paper reverse. It peeled up like the letter U but it is straight again.
    The creases will obviously never go away but it is a good experiment to test how well they can be repaired to an extent.

Sorry to hear about your postal woes KM Admiral. If the creases are not too deep then you can iron them out by using an iron and moistening the photo underneath some damp kitchen paper, but you should only use the iron on a very low setting and of course I would not use this method of any writing has been applied to the back of the photo.

A few heavy books should do the trick, but will take a day or so. Good luck.

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I tried the ironing technique and then I let the photo sit under some heavy books for a week.
    Here is the result, noticeably less visible creases. But unfortunately in some areas the photo cracked so the damage (creases) is still visible when scanned.

?

I think that’s the best you can hope for. It’s easy to take things a little too far and do more harm than good. Sometimes it’s best to just accept that it will never again be perfect and settle for what you have.
    Overall, it looks pretty good.