Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

My early SA photo pickups!

Article about: Hello everyone, The arrival of this marks the certain return of myself to the hobby! Starting small with a few very neat photo pickups; I really adore these shots! I'm generally trying to st

?

Default My early SA photo pickups!

Hello everyone,

The arrival of this marks the certain return of myself to the hobby!
    Starting small with a few very neat photo pickups; I really adore these shots!
    I'm generally trying to stick to pre-33 and kampfzeit era memorabilia but I just can't resist some of the early third reich stuff and I hope you'll agree on me when you see these images.

Here's a shot of an SA man around -I believe- 1933-1934. Probably the latter year. I really, really love how sharp this image is, surely taken by a good photographer at the time.
    We can very clearly read the numbers on the collar tabs. Someone will have to help me out with the farbe here, I always have trouble discerning the colours in these black and white images. Niederrhein, perhaps? I really enjoy the somewhat late use of the lace-up boots. Lovely! Apologies if this shot is tilted to the right. I tried rotating the image but to no avail.

Here's two lovely shots of a large group of predominantly SA men however there's a large variety of organisations present here. We can also spot an early SS man, a few political leaders dotted around, various party members and what I believe is a member of the DLV on the right in the front row in the 'Unserer Vorzeit' image? Note, of course the usage of the black mourners armbands.

Doing just a little bit of research will turn up that these gentlemen were on a museum tour! The 'Unserer Vorzeit' image was taken in front of the entrance of the landesmuseum in Halle. The image on which the background reads the slightly cut off wahlspruch of 'Frisch. Frei. Frohlich. From.' was taken in front of the Friedrich Ludwig Jahn museum in Freyburg; not far off Halle.

Here I present what I think is definitely my favourite of the bunch! A group of very early SA men posing with their sturmfahne in a field, perhaps on a march through the countryside?
    We can see, again, a few political leaders dotted around the group. We can also spot that some men here have collar tabs which I believe denotes this image to around 1931? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the dating of this image. Monotone kepis all around! Note the lovely 'crusher' kepi on the man right in front of the flag in the somewhat darker shirt.

Lastly I'd like to ask; that man on the bottom left is just another political leader, correct? The dark shade of his cap'd made me think that this might be some lost SS-man that lost his cap-badge which is not an uncommon sight around this time as right behind him you can see an SA man whose lost his aswell! I might very soon be receiving an image of an SA man using a small SA pin as a cap-badge which proves that it wasn't uncommon for these men to lose some of their insignia during their marches or engagements with police or communists alike.

Please, I'd love to hear all of your thoughts on the images I've presented to you today. I'm very fond of them!

As I go along collecting I'll likely post more of my image additions in this same thread.

Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images My early SA photo pickups! 
    Last edited by Gimmie; 03-26-2021 at 04:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My early SA photo pickups!
    P
    Many

First of all, really neat photos!

That SA-man in first photo is from Standarte 137, it's located Wesel, Niederrhein. And date, I would say possibility 1934 to early 1935 becouse lack of pipping around collar tabs and early eagle on kepi.

'Unserer Vorzeit' photo. That man is from Marine-SA and not DLV.

On that field photo, I belive those are all SA-mans. The man on bottom left wears visored cap what was experimentally worn with the early NSDAP national emplem. This form of cap was also worn by NSKK members, starting in July 1932. If that man would be political leader, he should wear black tie, not brown.
    I assume that photo is taken after April 1931, becouse after that date it was ordered to worn the first pattern national emblem. Couple of mans do not wear national emblem, so perhaps this photo is right after April.
    -TJ-

'Unserer Vorzeit' photo must been taken after August 1933. Couple of SA-mens are wearing Nürnberg Reichsparteitag tinnie.

-TJ-

?

Keen eye, thank you for the information you've provided!

A few of them are also wearing Frontbann badges for the ex-frontbann members which were banned from wear at the end of 1934. HPL -via WAF- has kindly provided information regarding the chevrons they're wearing which were only in wear for 7 months from February 1934-October 1934. This narrows it down quite nicely.

Regards,