Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzer III with a name on it

Article about: Two German officers taking a photo with a Panzer III(probably Ausf.F/G with a 5cm KwK 38 L/42 gun) and a panzer crew who is cleaning his panzer. A name "Eri*"(Erik?) can be seen

?

Default Panzer III with a name on it

Panzer III with a name on it

Two German officers taking a photo with a Panzer III(probably Ausf.F/G with a 5cm KwK 38 L/42 gun) and a panzer crew who is cleaning his panzer. A name "Eri*"(Erik?) can be seen written on the rear armor, I guess it's the name of the panzer commander or a dead crew.
    A "Nord-St*" signpost can also be seen on the house in the background. I think this photo was probably taken in the east but I can't find the exact place. Unfortunately, no writing on the back and no division emblem can be seen on the panzer, which prevents me from further research. A number "2" can be seen on the storage bin but not enough for identifying the unit.

Mjie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer III with a name on it
    P
    Many

... or the name of the tank driver's wife or girlfriend?
    I assume this is the female name ERIKA

This photo could well have been taken in Norway, possibly also in Poland.
    But I'm leaning more towards Norway.

?

Is it me or does the guy on the right appear to be wearing a tunic devoid of breast pockets?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Great photo mjie.
    Agree with reibert, most likely Erika
    Agree with Adrian. Surprising, but there don't appear to be any pockets on the man's tunic on the right.

Regards
    Santi

?

-Reibert
    Erika makes sense, how should I miss this name!
    I was also thinking Norway but Panzer-Abteilung z.b.V. 40 didn't operate Panzer III during Norwegian campaign. They did have some Panzer IIIs later in Finland though.

-Adrian
    I checked the photo carefully and I should admit I also didn't see the pockets on the guy's tunic on the right.

?

I wondered if it might be a modified reed-green denim work tunic, but the fabric seems wrong (not wrinkly enough)...

?

Looks like it was taken in the east. The houses have that style rather than Scandinavia. Also what appears to be an older woman wearing a white babushka along the left border of the photo. The sign post is probably marking that Nord-Straße is to the right of photo location.
    Last edited by Witt; 01-28-2024 at 10:59 PM.