Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Photo of an abandoned Mark V*

Article about: A photo showing a German soldier posing on a French Mark V that was ditched. The armaments have been removed as it was likely one of the tanks being used for training of a French tank unit.

?

Default Photo of an abandoned Mark V*

A photo showing a German soldier posing on a French Mark V that was ditched. The armaments have been removed as it was likely one of the tanks being used for training of a French tank unit. The tank number is not visible so I could not say which tank this is, it's liekly another Mark V* as these were sold to France at the end of the Great War.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo of an abandoned Mark V*
    P
    Many

?

Another photograph of this antique tank that was encountered in France. Now a dispatch rider, wearing his rubberized greatcoat, takes a break on the tank. The location of this tank however remains a mystery. I hoped there would be an inscription on the reverse to provide an answer.

?

Another photograph of this tank showing it from a different angle. French civilians have stopped to take a picture with the ancient beast. The tank number is not visible nor does the reverse have any indicators leaving it a mystery still.

No obvious damage as far as I can see, would make me think it has broken down and abandoned rather than lost in combat per se. Pity there's no landmarks or ID to expand on the history of this photo. Nice to see the various passing visitors to this hulk.

I wouldn't mind that in my back yard..

?

Nice photo, Ben. I think this is the Mark IV nicknamed 'Lyric' (No.2648) in the City of Reims, presented by the British.
    Here is a nice article I found on a French forum.
    Les Beutepanzer Liesel, Lotte et les Mark IV allemands de La Pompelle - Forum PAGES 14-18

And another photo taken from a different angle in my collection.

Mjie

I think you are correct Mjie, useful link too.

?

It is kost definitely the same landship so thank you, MJie. The photograph in your collection shows it from quite a different angle as it sat alongside the visible Route de Châlons.

This landship with the number 2648 was originally named “Llama II” before it was “Lyric”. It entered with the 12th Battalion, B Company, 5 Section, L36 on 19 August 1918. It was dumped in this location in 1925 as a tourist attraction/memorial beside Route de Châlons outside Fort de la Pompelle. It replaced landship No.4751 “Liesel” as a memorial here until the Germans passed through in 1940. Most of the paint had fallen away and the hull rusted. It is suspected then that the Germans scrapped it for usable steel.