Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photos of Germans by the KV-2s left in Zhovka

Article about: Hello, The latest photos of KV-2s I have come across. The first two were photographed by the same soldier on two consecutive days. I cam across the third photo a week later and noticed it wa

?

Default Photos of Germans by the KV-2s left in Zhovka

Hello,

The latest photos of KV-2s I have come across. The first two were photographed by the same soldier on two consecutive days. I cam across the third photo a week later and noticed it was the same tank so I picked it up. The photos were taken during Operation Barbarossa, the summer of 1941 in Zhovka (Schowkwa), Ukraine north of Lviv. The second and third photos show the same KV-2 although the first onr is taken at a different spot. I am not certain if this is the same tank and was moved or if there were multiple KV-2s left in the town. Interesting to also see a car stopped by a visible gas pump in the background of the first photo. Unaware of what units were passing through this area at the time.

Taken on July 2, 1941.

Taken on July 3, 1941.

Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photos of Germans by the KV-2s left in Zhovka
    P
    Many

These tanks are enormous, seeing them next to soldiers puts the size into perspective, nerves of steel needed when you're facing them in battle, thanks for posting !
    Cheers
    Paul

Indeed, an armored monstrosity that -I'm assuming- came as a surprise to the Germans along with the T-34...A Wehrmacht Veteran told me that they'd first immobilize it by hitting the tracks and "pick off" the crewmen one at a time as they tried to escape from the vehicle..."Einzel Abgepickt" in his words...

?

Hello again,

I was able to find another photo of the tanks in Zhovka and I have been waiting for it to arrive. It finally did so I am showing this new angle. The shot shows two KV-2s and I determined it was taken in Zhovka based on the buildings in the background. A long troop column passes by the tanks, many of them stopping to check out the tanks up close.

This proves that the photos above represent two different KV-2s that were left behind. Two KV-2s had been present in Zhovka during the summer of 1941. Seems to have attempted a fierce defense somewhere using multiple dreadnoughts.

Ben

These are making for an interesting sequence of pictures, although taken at different times I wonder if your latest photo is in fact the first as it appears to show combat troops as opposed to those in more relaxed mode earlier in the thread?

I agree BlackCat and the combat troops appear to be Gebirgsjäger.

Quote by Willmore View Post
    I agree BlackCat and the combat troops appear to be Gebirgsjäger.
    Well spotted Willmore, I agree.

?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I have been probing further for information regarding the photos. There are a few images online I have come across taken of one tank or the other. No lead pointing towards the origin or destination of them nor the Red Army tankers to whom they belonged.

I found that the Germans fought their way into town on June 29, 1941 and must’ve taken it quickly as many units had continued further east by the next morning. The two photos that were taken by the same soldier and dated July 2 and July 3 show they were taken three and four days after the fighting, respectively. This would lend to the leisurely nature of the men in the frame.
    Not sure of the extent of forces that were fighting. I found that Panzer Regiment 33 and Infanterie Regiment 204 were in the mix. The 125. Infanterie Division appears to be one of the larger contingencies of the fighting force as I found casualties coming from two of its structural units, Panzerjäger Regiment 125 and Infanterie Regiment 420.

Taking a look at my other pile of KV-2 photos, I came across this one I had posted earlier and I’d say it’s the same two tanks again? The barrel of the second tanks is barely visible from the angle of the image.
    Radfahr kompanie pass abandoned KV-2

Pasting it below for continuity purposes of the images since I am very certain of its
    subject matter.

Yes for sure the same behemoths, the cyclists passing the one seen on the left in the earlier photo.

Hi all.
    Here is a photo from the Internet and not a big addition to them. German soldiers examine the Soviet heavy tank KV-2, abandoned in Zhovkva on June 26-27, 1941 for technical reasons when the division was marching to Busk. Vehicle produced in November-December 1940 from the 8th Panzer Division of the 4th Mechanized Corps of the Southwestern Front. Pay attention to the photographer in the right corner. He is standing next to a car, on the wing of which is visible the tactical sign ,,Spielhahnfeder,, (97.Leichte-Division / 97.Jäger-Division)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast