Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stalingrad Shield??

Article about: Guys, check this out.... I found this online from a good source, but have never seen "Stalingrad Shield" on a death card or any other official doc. I always thought this sheild was

?

Default Stalingrad Shield??

Guys, check this out....

I found this online from a good source, but have never seen "Stalingrad Shield" on a death card or any other official doc. I always thought this sheild was never produced or awarded out....

My first thought was that the Death Card was fake......and I would normally have dismissed it, but like I said....I have never seen a fake sold in the sellers sales before...and have bought numeroud items from him in the past.

Has anyone else seen something like this? What are your opinions on it? Anyone know details about the Sheild?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad Shield??   Stalingrad Shield??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad Shield??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stalingrad Shield??

Hmmm.......

Further research on this guy's career is needed I reckon, I'll follow this with interest. Like you I have always thought the shield was designed but never produced. What is the source if you don't mind my asking?

?

The source was Engelbubu-fotos (ebay.de seller). I know alot of people dont like Ebay, but for fotos, he is IMO a good source of original/period photos and postcards. I have followed his auctions for a long time now and havent come across any problems.

I just dont know about this tho?

Possibly a reference by the printer to an award that had been designed and he thought the man would have received postumously. There never was a Stalingrad shield manufactured. Why commemorate an enormous loss? There wre also few survivors to award such an award to.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Possibly a reference by the printer to an award that had been designed and he thought the man would have received postumously. There never was a Stalingrad shield manufactured. Why commemorate an enormous loss? There wre also few survivors to award such an award to.
    youre right Bob.... not really a point for these shields to be manufactured. I just thought it was odd to see on a card or anything for that matter. So the only explanations would be a mistake, or it's just a fake card I guess...

?

Very odd Bill , the defeat at Stalingrad was not something that was celebrated in the Third Reich for obvious reasons and is why the shield was never instituted so why a death card should mention it i'm at a loss !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

As a side note, I bet that picture was taken post-kessel. He doesn't look like he gives a crap anymore.....

I have the wehrpass that belonged to Johann bretzendofer.

He stated out with 1./San.Ers.Abt.7 (Muchen) 4.10.40 and was killed in action with 6./Gren.Rgt.673 of 376 Inf.Div 22.11.43.

He served with various SAN units and interestingly he was with schlächterei-kompanie.376 8.3.41-20.9.42.

The Stalingrad entry is 17.8.42-18.11.42 Angriffsschlacht Auf Stalingrad.

Hope this is of some interest.

Regards.

P.s this is my first post.

Default Johann Bretzendofer wehrpass

Stalingrad Shield??
    Last edited by rbminis; 11-26-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Edited photo.

Stalingrad Shield??
    Last edited by rbminis; 11-26-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Edited photo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast