Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography

Article about: Hi, Collector Comrades! I want to show you something very special today. The photograph of a Wehrmacht soldier, which he had made to commemorate his service with the pioneers in 1934/35. The

Thumbs up Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography

Hi, Collector Comrades!

I want to show you something very special today. The photograph of a Wehrmacht soldier, which he had made to commemorate his service with the pioneers in 1934/35. The very nice photo, which has been colored afterwards, shows the Pioneer Linzen and two of his comrades, presumably during a manoeuvre. It was framed in a great wooden frame, which was made in the so-called 'Kerbschnitt-Technik' from old cigar boxes in homework. This technique was already widespread and very popular in Germany from the 19th century.

Regards

The Sammler
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography   Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography  

Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography   Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography  

Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography  
    Last edited by rbminis; 02-13-2023 at 07:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Soldier - Artistic photography
    P
    Many

A very interesting photograph. It's not easy to decide from the pictures but from the high light flare on the face of the central Pioniere this would imply use of flash or studio lighting. I think this might be a composite picture but a nice example for sure.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    A very interesting photograph. It's not easy to decide from the pictures but from the high light flare on the face of the central Pioniere this would imply use of flash or studio lighting. I think this might be a composite picture but a nice example for sure.
    It is quite possible that the three soldiers were tinkered into this picture. Anyway, it's well done and an interesting source of images for uniforms.

?

Hello Sammler,

In my opinion, the picture is a reserve item. At that time, soldiers could buy such pieces as souvenirs.

The picture was prefabricated and only the face of the buyer, as well as the matching collar tabs and epaulettes were inserted in the appropriate places. This can also be seen from the fact that these three areas don't really fit in with the rest of the picture; In addition, on closer inspection you can see that all three faces are the same man.

Such pictures have a long tradition in Germany and exist in a wide variety of versions.

This is a later example from Wehrmacht times.

I myself have a similar picture from the German Empire period, made in the same way, showing a soldier as an infantryman, mounted on a horse and at a cannon.

Nevertheless, a very nice picture and a great find.

I hope that could help you.

Best regards
    Wolf

Quote by Wolf View Post
    Hello Sammler,

In my opinion, the picture is a reserve item. At that time, soldiers could buy such pieces as souvenirs.

The picture was prefabricated and only the face of the buyer, as well as the matching collar tabs and epaulettes were inserted in the appropriate places. This can also be seen from the fact that these three areas don't really fit in with the rest of the picture; In addition, on closer inspection you can see that all three faces are the same man.

Such pictures have a long tradition in Germany and exist in a wide variety of versions.

This is a later example from Wehrmacht times.

I myself have a similar picture from the German Empire period, made in the same way, showing a soldier as an infantryman, mounted on a horse and at a cannon.

Nevertheless, a very nice picture and a great find.

I hope that could help you.

Best regards
    Wolf
    Thank you for this great detailed explanation! Somehow I thought that it could possibly be the same person, but I'm not sure. The photo was made by a printer, as you can see in the lower right corner. It also seems conclusive that only the face could have been inserted in each case, since this is a black and white photograph, while the rest is post-colored. However, the frame was probably made by the man pictured himself, which is typical manual work.