Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

American Airbase - metal detecting finds.

Article about: Hi all, Last night I went back to the local abandoned American airbase, and I was a lot more successful than my last visit I spent the first two hours looking around the service areas, but I

Default American Airbase - metal detecting finds.

Hi all,

Last night I went back to the local abandoned American airbase, and I was a lot more successful than my last visit

I spent the first two hours looking around the service areas, but I didn't really have much luck. The only thing I found was some type of fitting, with GEC stamped inside it. So with the light starting to fade, I decided to take myself over to what I beleive was the living quarters.

Well.... I faired a LOT better!

I concentrated around the trees that lined the aircrews living quarters, hoping to find a few personal items. The metal detector went crazy!

I found ten 7.62mm casings, stamped L13A1. I've looked up these codes, and I beleive them to be British blank rounds. Obviously, the Americans must of bought these for training on camp.

They are stamped 76, 79, 80 and 82. I presume these are the year they were made. If so, I suspect these were fired from an American M16 Rifle.

Obviously post WW2, but interesting all the same!

Anyway, I was really excited, but I glanced up whilst digging, and noticed 2 rather big bulls staring at me!! That combined with fading light, I decided to call it a day!!

I'll be going back sometime this week, so hopefully I'll have more to add to the thread!

Lee
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American Airbase - metal detecting finds.   American Airbase - metal detecting finds.  

American Airbase - metal detecting finds.   American Airbase - metal detecting finds.  

American Airbase - metal detecting finds.   American Airbase - metal detecting finds.  

Default Re: American Airbase - metal detecting finds.

Well, it proves you are in the right area........now all you gotta do is narrow the search even more !

Before you do just check one thing. I have detected on an old POW camp and, like you, found some modern cartridges and varies other bits and bobs but not what I was EXPECTING to find. I then discovered that when the POW camp had been demolished, instead of taking the rubble away, they spread it our evenly over the ground and dumped some top soil on it ! All the WW2 relics were therefore under 2 foot of rubble and new soil ! Check this didn't happen at your site.

The cartridges are indeed 'modern' blanks. This page that I put together a little while ago may help you.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...adstamps-5718/

The two digit numbers are indeed the year. Your light fitting/switch and te other piece of metal could be WW2 era but I couldn't be positive.

Some nice finds ! Well done

Steve T

The blank round s weren't fired by an M16 as these are 5.56(.223),The R G is for Radway Green, and the no.s indicate year
    cheers
    jon

A few more bits found from the local airbase. This time I concentrated around the living quarters.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American Airbase - metal detecting finds.   American Airbase - metal detecting finds.