Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 117 of 132 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

The story of the Grant was intriguing too ~ Watched the doco on the history of the Grant when they were sent to Burma where they were greatly appreciated ~

And the fact that they eventually had units to "guard" the tanks from the marauding suicidal Japanese !~

And while on the subject of Tanks ~ I bought the Documentary March 1945 ~ Duel at the Cathedral parts 1/2 ~ (2015) ~ three hours ~ quite a good detailed doco as well ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Fossick #520

Been raining all week ~ coupled with low temps and brisk winter SE breezes ~
    I was determined to get in a Hunt yesterday ~ forecast sketchy for next week ~

Early start ~for me ~ kicked off at 11:00! LOL

Even the drive out was four seasons in one day ~ showers ~ to heavy rain and then just as quickly bone dry roads!

Straight up ferrous signals and again dug pretty well all targets ~ simply based on signal quality ~

The steers have been busy either treading down the grass for me or eating it off ~ Thanks Farmer Brown ~

Worked around most of the parking lot. Stuff all but ferrous iron and nails ~

(This MD latest pattern is working winders ~ Amazing in fact ~)

Using the Mobil Phone as a camera.. some photos excellent some dubious ~ This photo of the horse shoe dug out of a sodden hollow or wash ~

The 1/2 Penny ~ this one is dated 1938 ~ Commonwealth and inverse side has the image of King George VI~ who was not normally associated with Commonwealth coins.
    Excellent condition which I put down to an extremely deep hole and reducing oxygen !

The Phone is pretty sad on Macro shots ~ gave up trying to snap the front side ~

‘More Star Picket/s typical o f the Military type with wire hooks rather than standard far today of 1/4” holes ~

Most I assume used as Tent Pegs .

I dug the Door handle but not the door !

The “spade piece” (would have had a Hook on the lower section) I recall from my early days as a kid on a farm with old barns which the Older farming Horse saddlery kit ~ (And another Hay raking tine ~

( Interestingly this shot is on Woman's WAC Rural Service, 1942 ! )

A AMF button ~ Assortment of Belt and Webbing buckles ~ intriguing chain link! Figure maybe able to make use of the Heavy chain links (?)

Certainly a variety of Buckles including what may well be colonial or maybe 1930-40s!

The “bone handle knife is of some debate as we would not associate SS metal with Bone but rather hard plastic handle ~

KAIRI, ATHERTON TABLELAND, NORTH QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA. 1944-08-17.

MEMBERS OF THE 5TH FARM COMPANY USING DISC HARROWS AND DIAMOND HARROWS ON AN OLD CORN FIELD: THEY ARE:- N268094 DRIVER K.N. BLYTON (1); N456597 DRIVER L.W. ELLWOOD.

Fossick #521

Took th opportunity to do a research recce into a couple of New sites ~ before the weather close din again with strong winds and more rain. (the Weather man got it dead to rights. )

The research I made for the first site was pretty close but the original marker (map) is I believe totally off the mark and I have seen this before today ~

But the sites were bot heavily ~ very Heavily ~ covered in dense grass which looks like it has never been cleared or burnt off ~

Must have been a HUGE task for the Diggers to clear ~ unless f course it may also have been farm land prior to Army Acquisition for the War period.

And being close to the dam site th earea is pretty well isolated and given the farmland was impacted by the dam waters the whole area was left to the whims of Nature ~

I spent several Hours endeavouring to access both sites but the grass was over whelming and virtually impenetrable ~

Plus of course the Snake which I came across ~ was a little off putting but it looked like he was some what the worse for wear too ~ never seen a snake sun bake belly up ~

So I detoured back to one of my old sites for a sweep before calling it a day ~

Once again some modest scores and certainly did not go home with the tail between the legs ~

So despite the horrendous grass I was able to establish enough evidence to conclude that I am on the right track so I will monitor and pray to the MD Gods by some freak of Nature a fire bomb dropped form a Helicopter which does happen locally !

Best of Clean up ~

Panel beating Aust army style

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 08-04-2020 at 12:47 PM.

One thing the army was not short on during the wars was cheap labour whose complaints etc could be ignored...

Interesting article from 1945 Australian Federal parliament and Trove web site

04 Oct 1945 - DUMPING OF ARMY MATERIAL - Trove

DUMPING Of ARMY MATERIAL ON ATHERTON TABLELAND.

SEARCHING INQUIRY ORDERED., CANBERRA.

Thurs October 2.- 1945

The Minister for the Army (Mr. F. M. Forde) stated in the House of Representatives to-day that there would be a searching investigation into the allegations by the Leader of the Country Party (Mr. A.W. Fadden) of dumping and destruction, of Army material on the Atherton Tableland.

Speaking on the adiournment, Mr.Fadden read to the House extracts from the report of the investigator, who, he said, had obtained first-hand

knowledge of what was occurring.

The investigator reported to Mr.Fadden: "Some of the dumps that contain thousands of pounds' worth' of valuable material are being placed out of bounds to civilians, and the Army are covering up the traces with bull-dozers."?

'Allegations made by the investigator included; Many Army dixies and other cooking utensils have been tied in lots of. three or more and a crowbar driven through them to make them unserviceable.

Tinning has been burned off buckets and dixies. Others have been deliberately punctured.

Cases containing thousands bf carburettor springs were' strewn over the ground.

Up to 200 stoves are heaped beside a dump.

Specially machined-pieces of piping worth £1 have been thrown away.

TINNED FOOD BUSIED. '

The investigator said that at Kairi and Danbulla residents found sides of

bacon, thousands of tins of meat and vegetables, bully beef, tinned fruits,

jams, curry powder, "dehydrated potatoes, and large quantities of rice

buried. -

Witnesses would swear that in one dump they found many useful parts of motor cars, requiring only a few shillings to put them in order.

They would swear also that large quantities of jungle boots were burnt. Only defect in the boots was that they were fitted with long spikes. ' ...

The story behind the destruction of 25,000 Army blankets was that, they were stacked in a big marquee through which storm water bad poured, and soaked the bales. The blankets could have been saved with a little initiative but the Army authorities preferred, to let them rot.

Mr. Forde said' that a searching investigation' into Mr. Fadden's allegations"

If it can be proved that -these allegations are correct, appropriate disciplinary action win be taken," Mr, Forde added.

Fossick %21

This is long over due but Back in August Rob and I decided to do a Bush hunt back of Herberton ~ in a training area.

Been here many times and always bring home something of interest or worthy of projects .

We agreed to start at the colonial Mine site / lower town and worked across the (dry river bed to seeking 25 Pdr. and 6 Pdr.

But the first call was a sad 2 Pdr. projectile ~ the issue is that if projectiles are buried ~ in creeks beds ~ they have not fared well ~ It is those that “lay on the surface that are “perfect!.

We spent several hours crossing the hill line ~ So much for sticking to the Town Site !

We returned for Lunch and smoko before heading to the west side of the Town site. This proved much more productive but the two Pdrs. were pretty sad and the 25 Pdrs. were worse for wear ~ but as I suggested they would brush up ~ after all "Quirky " restoration is Good ~

All were fired and completely harmless BTW.

We agreed to call it a day around 14:00 ~ 33 Degs. ~ and agreed to return before Summer or even Spring kicks in ~ although it seems interlopers ~ including Bill S. and Darryl R. H. have stripped the area ~

BUT I was in for a Horror shock as I had struggled with my back pack ~ first to put the pack on then walk the kilometer back tot he vehicle. then to remove after all I was carrying < 45 Kg> ~

By next day I was suffering severely and then two days later I decided to take the boat out for a run ~ and as it was standing for so long the motor failed to start (Stale fuel I reckon) and I then proceeded to do a more severe aggravation of the injury.

For the next few days Pain killers were in order and two trips to the Chiro ~ but the damage has been Muscular damage ! ~Neck shoulder and lower left rib cage.

( I know about rib cage bruising as I trained and competed in Martial arts and a punch or even a well placed kick to the rib cage will incapacitate for 3-4 weeks with bruising ~ )

Talk about Dumber and Dumber ~ Both Rob and i are no longer young roosters and I simply forget that . !

Fortunately I have been able to sleep with no worries ~ a bit of the Inkahol does help too !

So I have been poleaxed for the past 3-4 weeks ~ Ironically though it has had NO effect on my ability to metal detect as I use the harness even with the Equinox. Certainly not using the CTX ~

But I did a reasonably successful hunt only last week ~

That aside I have embarked on a TEN projectiles renovation prject including Two Pdr. and 6 Pdr. The 25 Pdr. will come later.

GUNNERS OF B TROOP, 132 HEAVY ANTI-AIRCRAFT BATTERY, 53 ANTI-AIRCRAFT REGIMENT (COMPOSITE), PREPARING THEIR 3.7 INCH ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS FOR SHOOT.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 09-10-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Good to hear from you again, sometimes we have to suffer for our art. Hope you are back up to full speed soon! Nice finds again, but maybe you need some nice lighter ones next time.

?

thanks for posting.

'Bruised ribs'-the gift that keeps on giving! I came off my motorbike about 25 years ago-took about 6 months to fade away completely and initially laughing, coughing or moving in bed was deeply painful for a month or so!

'Bruised ribs'-the gift that keeps on giving!
    Yes Been there done that ~ as suggested I took previously lot/ hits related to Martial arts ~

Fortunately I can sleep okay ~ and ironically the right arm gives me grief ONLY when I am sitting at the Pooter ~ Hmm maybe sending me a message !

Thank fully Metal detecting and hiking. hunting is unaffected as I use a harness!