Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 118 of 132 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Fossick #525

So the weather has fined up as it has been raining almost non stop for weeks ~and I had not been out for some 3 weeks ~ since the Back country artillery Hunt ~ Weds last week I decided to go for a hunt on well worn ground

So once again lazy start~ Not bit optimistic but headed out ~ last trip was a big fail for sure, and I have not bothered to report on..

I found a spread of disarrayed basalt rocks ~ not common to the site ~

I believe they were used in the campsite in the war years and then pushed as side after the War when the property was redeveloped for farming. I also believe there was rubbish dump pushed partially into the near by Creek.

I constantly started getting good signal amongst the rocks. Suffice to say I spent the next 1 1/2 Hours sifting thru the boulders to retrieve buckles buttons and misc.

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

I called iy a day at 15:30 .

Ironically I decided that as the Targa rally that was due to commence Friday Morning on the way home I detoured via the long route home to check out the Rally Section with the view to find a park and a observation point on Friday.

Little did I realize that Ms M was not having a Bar of me hiking via Disused road to access an ideal viewing area and thru her incidental efforts long story short I was to end being a Track Marshal for the weekend.

SS signs up for a Car rally ~ rather than Relic Hunt!

The Clean Up The Best if thus far.

Five AMF brass buttons included an Officer's cap band button ~ and one with a different retaining ring rather than the circlip style as seen before ~

The plate is from a Tyre Pump.

The Rising Sun badge is unusual as the pins are far narrower than previously seen ~ and despite a careful clean up it does not have the maker's ,mark in the back!

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 09-12-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Fossick #528

Sub clause ~ #Fossick 527 ~

Last week was a pure;y test bed for the Equinox based on a original site I found my first ever Rising Sun ~

As a test it was quite impressive while not outstanding it did show the capacity of the Equinox to deliver on well worn ground.

Test went quite well considering this site has been hammered for may years as it is very accessible to all and his Dog..

Half Aust flash ~ a Flash Primer Tube 2 Pdr. ~ a length of lead ~ A Bogie dual rear wheel valve extension.

Fossick #527

Well I re-tweaked the Equinox slightly to modify the Pattern I adopted recently ~. I watched the same Video right thru again and picked up a few Mod tips.

Then yesterday after watching the Legenda/ Latvia Live broadcast on Monday night ~ they emptied a German WWII cache of 8 Cm mortars ~ totaling < 350 > mortar bombs.

Then exchanging emails with newly formed friends down south ~ I was more than little Inspired, as father and Son are having fantastic US military find rate.

Perfect day ~ forecast is full on Spring form now on it seems. Headed off after a leisurely start and a chat with Rob and replying to yet another email from Taiyo and Leroy ~

On site < 11.00 > Spring is on thew way ~ with temps rising and rain dissapating,

I was on the hunt for trash heaps this trip and headed to the first of the Creek beds which border the camp site and later farm land.

I almost immediately came across a cache of spent 303 cartridges. This is just what was on the surface ~ the MD picking huge numbers ~

I soon turned up a Duffle Bag Lock!

I am running 4 of 8 on the recovery and it is still turning out DEEP targets ~ missed by the CTX.

I was hoping to get to the high end of the creek but I spent a lot of time digging a rubbish dump on the side of the Hill~ with lots of Broken glass and misc., ferrous and the Buckle.

I was hoping to get to the high end of the creek but I spent a lot of time digging a rubbish dump on the side of the Hill~ with lots of Broken glass and misc., ferrous and the Buckle.

A 1943 half Roo penny ~ 39 Webbly round. ~ Slouch hat chin strap ~ Misc. webbing buckles and the Duffle Bag lock.

I included the half Aust flash from last week to demonstrate that today’s was a Coincidence!

Home !5:30

Commandos from the 2/3rd Independent Company in New Guinea during July 1943

A friend and his son's Hunt this week ~ permission to access an area formerly US and RAAF air field.

Fossick #529

Perfect day again ~

Headed off and on site by 11:00 . Heavy cloud (the Storm bird was pretty close to the prediction !) a nice breeze and 27 degs.

Went slow and then dropped recovery speed ~ forcing myself to work slow and it paid off with some intriguing finds .

Early find n the grass line was a Identity tag ~~ The catch is that it is Aluminum! I have found these before as Most are Stainless steel ~ The Aluminum tags suffer after this period time and I am struggling to raise the details IF there is any!.

I again worked around the area to the NW ~ working the grass areas this time with some positive results including a Brilliant condition 1943 Roo penny ~ amazing as it is in a zone which was not totally cleared and farmed, and above the water line.

Conditions were great but time ran out ~ never made the top of the creek bed again a kilometer too far. ~ But at is alright ~ the water is dropping ~

Called it a day around 16:00.

Australian Diggers ~ in CHINA February - October 1942 ~ Part of the British '204' Campaign~ to supply the Chinese and train troops in the use of equipment !

Four members of the Australian contingent to Mission 204 in Yunnan Province, China, during 1942.

John Leake, George Carr, Ron Croton and Maurie Kimbell on the Burma Road in
    Yunnan province, China 1942, wearing as many layers of clothing as possible.
    AWM P00763.00i

Bitterly cold, but still wearing shorts!

LOl
    I thought the exact same thing ~ Tough Barstards ` ~ we ~ Aussies!! (Proud to be one !)

I found a 'Paper' on the topic and one Digger was asleep in his truck ~ or tent~ and his bare foot emerged form his blanket/s ~ and rested against the canvas ~ he got frost bite and could not walk for two weeks~

What a Bugger ~ your mates have to carry you out to do your daily business!!!!)

Forty Seven Diggers went along ~ ALL survived if only just ~ being diseased and emancipated ~

I had not heard this story before my random research last week ~

Fossick #530 ~

Worked a familiar colonial site ~ part of the 1880s -1896 Robson track pack horse/ donkey run ~

PArt of this track ruan directly thru several WWII military sites, which I regularly work thus the main reason I often have mixed results ~ all a cross flowing of History .

MAN !! These folks were tough ~ I bought a soft cover book on the history of Kulara ~ which went under the dam waters in 1958 ~

The first page was a a story of real tragedy ~ This shanty is also under the water now ~

The first page read ~:

Robson's track was the first access for what is now the Yungaburra district. It was necessary to establish staging Posts along the track to provide food and rest for teamsters and packers , and somewhere to spell and adjust thee loads of their animals.

The first staging posts, (known as Shanties ') to service this route and provide shelter was a few miles from the top of the range at Boar Pocket and was established by John McCrohan in about 1882.

This shanty was a welcome sight for the travelers the shining of their outside light on a dark night.

Their Daughters born in 1882 and 1885, spent their young years living in this remote location. Susan was only 30 years old died 19 1889 and is buried in a lone grave at Boar Pocket next to next her 8 day old son Bertie who died it in 1887.

John when only 33 , became ill of malarial fever and died at Herberton while being treated in 1890.

William and Henry Land and their sister , Hannah were caretakers out of the Boar Pocket Hotel on behalf of the of the McCrohan estate. In the will of the late John McCrohan, the Lands and Fred Brown were listed as guardians of the Children. They continued living at the the Hotel when in 1892 William Land became the owner and in 1894 Hannah married Fred Brown. William died in 1896when only 34 years and Henry his brother married in 1899"

( I have seen the Grave Marker ~ when the water was at a low several years ago ~ )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The score of the day was a Very Old Brass wedding ring ~

An intriguing find ~ not sure what to make of this ~ buried on the Military camp site ~ I have not extended the Dig on this one ~

This camp site included US Army forces as the GHQ of local forces from 1942.

US Officers checking out goods in a local QLD store, possibly Mareeba 1942.

Has No connecting signals ~ which may indicate a modern services point!?? Open to suggestion.

One of the Many creek and washes that the Victorian supply caravans would have had to forge on their way to the Mining centres of the region.

Fossick #531

Another First ~ find ~

A return to the farm lot and the cattle paddock ~ I know it may never give huge finds yet again as I have been using it as my escape to MD and it is not far from Home ~

Mid morning hunt again ~ some breeze and heavy threatening clouds. ~ Headed off looking for those elusive pockets that we have missed previously ~or that single relic that has been over looked ~

I had barely started on the high ground when I got a screaming Signal ~ Despite the high tone I saw the King's head on a very soiled large coin and assumed it was a Penny ~

But NO ! A Florin ~ 1944 ~

I swept the area in jubilance ~ and less than half a meter away in similar depth was another smaller coin ~ But ti was heavily crudded and despite rubbing it did not show signs of a small Silver ~

I wired the small area repeatedly and scored some other lesser pieces ~ all brass ~

I forged on and spent some three plus hours working the ground ~ AS usual lots of ferrous signals and I dig most to assess their value ~ plenty of Horse shoes as per usual ~ a tree stump revealed numerous 9 mm projectiles ~ some using a tree stump for Owen Gun practice perhaps ~ or even some thing even more unusual ~ a pistol perhaps ~ but brass projectile none the less ~

An unusual ferrous iron piece I bought home as it was a little unique ~ more of a curiosity ~

Home 14:30 ~ promptly worked on the Florin and the mystery coin ~

The Latter is same dia. as a US penny, but thinner ~ remembering that there were yanks on the site around 1942 ~ smaller than a two cent ~ larger than a one cent ~ but heavily encrusted I was able to raise a few letter of English ~ so it was not a Japanese or Chinese coin.

Then it was suggested it may be a Farthing ~ it fits the mold ~ and it was declared a Farthing and has to date to the latest 1896 when the horse and donkey caravans ceased to passage though the area. Possibly even older than 1896 as the area was cleared mostly by Chinese labour ~ which could also account for the coin and as many know I have found my first Chinese coins in this same paddock.

So one more notch on the Belt ~ a Farthing.

The saddle rivet/s next to the ferrous metal curiosity ~ ring the Detector off the dial ~ frustrating to be sure!

The Florin cleaned ~ Immaculate as always ~

2 4 Battalion soldier Jim Dempsey with Vickers gun,

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-10-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Fossick #532

The Contract job ~ and a recce into a not seen previously ~ WWII camp site area~

Well ~ last Friday Perfect day ~ Clear skies

I was contacted to ask if I could locate a Missing wedding ring.

M decided to come along with me and well time as it was a bit of a challenge to find as the block sign was well camouflaged ~

The areas around Ravenshoe and millstream were highly concentrated in regarded WWII and encampments and training int eh Pacific campaigns.

i have only ever done one hunt in this area.

Approx some 700 m form the turn off there is a registered WWII divisional camp site signage ~

The access road was a horror story ~ < 15:1 > gradient ~ narrow shaled ~ 2 km up a Mountain.

First gear 4 * Lock ~ hair pins and switch backs ~

( in hindsight we agree the troops would have used this escarpment for training ~ but the owner/s told us that their block was a virgin site and no development.
    AS to what could be achieved in hunting the site would be a challenge and of dubious results.

As we suggested their access road would be a bag of laughs in the Wet season ~ positively scary.

I spent some two hours plus scanning the area with no positive results. ~ including scanning the goats inside trhe Goat shed ~ but a steel frame hutch woth corrogated ioron sheathing and PK screws securing the wooden floor wa sa tall ask .

It was then that it was revealed that their was a five hour plus window form breakfast to Midday ~ Which diminished the theory of being lost on a water tank access track or the Goat shed.

It was then that "Anne" resigned tot he fact that the ring was not in either of the site.

She generously reimbursed for costs in travelling to their home.

Brush fire ~ moment of concern as visibility was zero.

Descending Mt Evelyn and Mt Bartle Frer in the distance.

RAVENSHOE AREA, QLD. 1945-02-02.

RAVENSHOE, QUEENSLAND. 1945-04-04. A PORTION OF 2/13 INFANTRY BATTALION MEMBERS CROSS RAVENSHOE BRIDGE WITH HEADQUARTERS COMPANY LEADING, AS THEY RETURN TO CAMP AT THE END OF A DAY'S ROUTE MARCH.

A PONTOON FERRY CONSTRUCTED OVERNIGHT BY 2/7 FIELD COMPANY, ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ENGINEERS IS POLED ACROSS THE STREAM 50 YARDS UPSTREAM FROM MILLSTREAM BRIDGE. IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE:- LANCE CORPORAL C J C CAMERON, (1); LANCE CORPORAL R E SUTTON, (2); LANCE CORPORAL G SPENCE, (3).

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-15-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Fossick #533

I realised that rain was on the forecast so I checked it this morning ~Forecast for increasing rain ~

So decided to risk getting wet and head out .

The number of signals of low tones and ferrous right thru to high tone was impressive.

I spent some three hours in the area~ and cleared the area~ Frequent light showers but managed to stay fairly dry.
    Checked out several sights for potential ~nothing positive.

Looking fro evidence of a trash heap ~ nothing ~ previously found a single NSW beer bottle. Clear skies ~ rain moved in again as I headed back to Base.

(The right shoulder was NOT Happy about the out-board motor, or maneuvering the Boat trailer one BIT ~ I did a good job on it ~ )

Assortment of Webbing buckles ~

A 113 25 Pdr. Smoke shell fuze guard securing ring . Marked.
    Tooth brush.
    Two 113 Smoke 25 Pdr. fuze guards ( a bit worse for wear .)
    SMLE rifle stock ID tag.
    25 Pdr. (another dud) primer.
    Aust Flash.
    Webbly projectile .
    1941 Wheat Three pence ( And again ~ Boy did he lead me on a merry old chase... )
    A very beaten Penny ~ .
    Had a run on McCallum’s Whisky caps. Ring up like a Florin.
    (Boy Tent Eyelets ~ and even water Bungs. )

The 113 Smoke shell 25 Pdr. fuze guard and securing ring I previously found and cleaned up. ( Rob was adamant it was a instrument Bezel ~but I was more than confident it is a Fuze guard securing ring~ I have three of them Now four. )

Assorted brass off cuts ~ no stamping/s ~

Balikpapan, Borneo. c. 1945. Australian artillerymen of 8th Battery, 2/24th Australian Field Regiment, in action at the landing at Balikpapan pounding Japanese positions 6000 yards away. (Donor G.M. Mitchell)

Note the Durry on the Loader ~ LOL

New Guinea. 5 September 1943. Paratroops of the 2/14th Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, who are about to take off for a parachute landing on Nadzab with their 25 pounder guns, in support of American paratroops, checking their equipment before the take-off

New Guinea, 5 September 1943. Gunners , of the 2/14th Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, who were in a party selected to take part in a parachute drop, with their 25 pounder guns, in support of American paratroops. They are wearing American type steel helmets, which were deemed more practicalthan the stnadard Aust Dough boy helmet.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-17-2020 at 08:59 AM.