Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 119 of 132 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Fossick #534

I was not surprised to t find it was raining when I got up around 07:00. The forecast stated rain all day for Malanda and clear skies for the rest of the Tablelands. Although looking out from the front yard to the North looked Grim

As I set off the sun burst at home. but the distant Herberton hills were totally blocked out!

As I approached the target area it was NOT looking good, extensive whide spread heavy couds ~ and even stopped and debated the weather with mate over the Phone. He was not optimistic neither ~ I almost turned around but thought ~ "it will be fine!!"

I sat it out for some 30 minutes and decided it was game over.

As I headed back to the flat ground I decided to squirt over and see mate for visit rather than just go home~.

But within 15 minutes the skies started a to clear and the Sun even appeared. As Rob said ~ "Time to get cracking!"

It was after midday by the time I hiked thru the bush and hill and dale `~ dodging unseen snakes, wait a while and stinging plants~

Once on site and geared I was amazed with the array of signals ~ even on the previously worked ground I had worked to death~ I think maybe Merete is right ~ the Relics DO grow back !!

I still think it is all about the Modified Field 2 Pattern I created.

I spent almost four hours on site ~ with fabulous results ~

Home 17:00.

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Top Left

#117 25 Pdr. fuze guard ( since repaired) ~ round !)

Two Webbly revolvers pouch harness mount buckles.

A very clean Water Bung ~ 1941 D/|\D

Rising sun Hat ~

Mystery Stud ~ ( turned out to be a 1944 Levi Edition jeans stud~

Aust flash

Cut down Boyes Anti tank .55 case

Belt buckle standard military

SIX AMF buttons

Personal ~ commercial button polishing mount and reapir tool ~ perhaps even being a gift ~

Brass hot water bottle bung.. perhaps even used in first aid treatment (?)

Ink~ bottle ~ electrical prong / plugs

Misc [pounch studs buttons + webbing buckles.

The Rising Sun and the webbing buckles and Aust Flash are in excellent condition ~ good soil ~ above any water line!

Cut down Boy's anti tank round ( after clean up )~ appears to be a factory cut away ~ as it has two parallel holes ~ (??)

After first clean up

The Beer Bottle is embossed 'Property of Cooper Active South Australia ' and a logo of two arms swinging a pick and entitled ''Pickaxel draught. ''

The Aluminium sheet has opposite lines in < 1/8" > holes which strongly suggests it came from a an aircraft frame.

levis 501 1944 fit laurel leaf button long john jeans denim

BEIT JIRJA, PALESTINE. A 2/5TH BATTALION BREN GUN CARRIER GOES INTO ACTION. NOTE THE BREN GUN PROTRUDING FROM THE APERTURE AT RIGHT AND THE BOYES ANTI TANK RIFLE ABOVE THE CREW'S HEADS.

NAGADA, NEW GUINEA. 1944-08-16. VX72103 GUNNER D.N. BENTLEY, E TROOP, 22ND BATTERY, 106TH TANK ATTACK REGIMENT, USING A BOYES 5" TANK ATTACK RIFLE TO SHOOT CROCODILES IN A SWAMP NEAR THE UNIT CAMP.

I fired a Boys a few years back-a bastard of a weapon (but well suited to pinging Salties!)-some were supplied to the USMC in the Pacific as the US had no equivalent 'light' A/T weapon at the time and it still worked against Japanese armour.

I fired a Boys a few years back-a bastard of a weapon
    '

Yes seems the Pomms amongst other countries came up with some demonic such weapons ~ for example the PIAT !

I doubt I would have th emahooners to sneak up on a enemy tank and bang on it with a spring loaded device ~

The Mystery Item is seems is in fact a Combo use tool ~ including safety razor and cigar trimmer ~

Not sure I would be ballsy enough to try and shave with it ~

MAP
    ?

My first thought when you first posted it was that it was a cigar cutter
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes mate ~

A response form a Service friend ~ actually a Squadron leader ~

Great research Stuart,

Looking at it with that info, it could of been quite a handy, lightweight, ubiquitous item for a soldier to carry.

Able to give a quick hand-held scrape/shave, use as a sharp knife, cut cord, fuse and comms wire etc. And fit in a pocket easily.

It may have had a simple handle?

Any item with multiple uses will remain a favourite with any troop of any era.

Best wishes

Laney

If you were going to shave with it, I don't think you'd also try whittling or chopping carrots with it as well-reminds me of a combined wrist watch/gas cigarette lighter I saw years ago-just asking for trouble!

Fossick #535

Well eyes on the weather and the skies ~ with increasing storms ~ and watching for Brun offs ~ One tends to become a Fire watcher ~

I saw this fire on the way to the favourite site ;late last week~ On on returning home I checked the rural fire.gov and they listed no permit or break outs ~ I rang a property owner that I knew was in the area and the bloke explained he also checked it out and found it was break out on a property to the south west of him ~

Unfortunately it was not in the area that I had hoped for ~ as we have a Fire SES team leader who is also dedicated detectorist and known to burn off convenient areas which just happen to have Detecting potential~

So I spent few hours working the preferred site with good success yet again. Fine ~ humid but no rain this time ~

Two more @113 25 Pdr. Smoke shell 'impact " fuzes guards. Slightly damaged but since repaired them and cut down a third to make #221 timer fuze guard.

A < 80 year old Brick >. Another McCullum's whiskey cork top ~

The Oak Leaf piece I believe is part of an Officer's cap badge ~ (?) and cleaned up[ a treat ~ I scrounged for some time endeavoring g to find the rest of it but no luck there!

SANANANDA, PAPUA. AN AUSTRALIAN, PROBABLY FROM 2/7TH CAVALRY REGIMENT, WOUNDED ON THE LEG, ROLLS A CIGARETTE FOR A JAPANESE PRISONER CAPTURED AT SANANANDA.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-27-2020 at 11:13 AM.

?

Probably a trade badge for that wreath Sweep. Here is my collection. Bottom left looks close?

Mate

I did consider it to be a Artillery Surveyor's badge " but the laurel is not quite right ~