Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 124 of 132 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Ford 'Blitzes'-by far the most common large vehicles you still see around with collectors-pretty much every broad acre farmer had one at some stage! Has to be said that 600-700 quid was real money in 1946 though.

that 600-700 quid was real money in 1946 though.
    Yes that sort of Money in 1945/6 was serious money for sure ~

It was only back in the 1980s ~ speaking for NSW ~ the State authorities put the cleaner thru the State Emergency services ~ SES and Bush fire brigades ~ as many of them still used the Surplus Blitz's, and they were deemed redundant under safety regulations !

Most ended up in scrap merchant yards ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Alice Springs 1946 (Retirements of the Alice to Darwin convoys.)

Staff members of McCormack machinery factory unload inert Mortar shells ~ 1946.

Oddly, the Sentinel tanks had a pretty long post war career, largely because of the lack of any replacement vehicles until the Centurions in the late 50s-tanks weren't a priority in a basically infantry army!

Here is my latest project ~ *( Yes found with a detector ~ LOL)

I really should find the original photo as found~ It was a Train wreck after laying buried for < 70> years> They really do suffer when buried.. as opposed to laying on the surface.

Six Pounder ~ Armour Piercing ~ 57mm.

Seems to have taken for ever ~ ( I know have around 15 to go ~)

I am now at a final tidying up period and completing ~

Found the actual find #200 hunt~ 2013 ~ I initially rejected it but decided to go back some time later to reclaim it ~ took some finding too ~

Gun Crew training ~ Wild river , Herberton Far North QLD, 1944.

Mate's Clean up of his Six Pdr. ~ Note all hsi have no drive band which apears to typical of Six Pdr.s after firing.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-12-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Well as suggested and unless you live on the Dark side of the Moon IN AUSTRALIA of course ~ most will know we have had a bit of a hammering this last week with bad weather and a cyclone ~ and today was the first truly fine day we have had.

They reckon <60K > homes blacked out in FNQ ~ We were lucky only out for 24 Hrs. But we have several Generators ~

So been sorting and cleaning up relics ~ mostly ~

Special ~Modest ~ collection ~

Boys Anti-tank ,55cal Rifle. (Great Britain and Commonwealth WWII )

I have been privileged to have Robert donate two intact round and several shell cases from a WWII Boys ant-tank rifle.
    One of WWII bizarre weapons but in fact many countries World wide has their variants of these ~

But as Armour was developed and Tanks more protected these rifles were essentially redundant. But Australians used them!

AS suggested on the included video these round are pretty rare and in Australia very expensive.

In fact Robert risjked Life and limb to attend and return from the Townsville ACCA meet last weekend and they were asking $150 for a single round. Robert bought a job lot a while back and in the box were these Boys rounds which do not interest him ~ so he gave them to me ~ Thanks Mate.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK4JDFLazs

NORTHERN TERRITORY. 1942-11-03.

CORPORAL R.F. WILSHIRE OF HEADQUARTER COMPANY, 2/8TH AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION POINTING OUT TO A CLASS RECEIVING INSTRUCTION ON THE BOYES ANTI-TANK RIFLE, THE VULNERABLE PLACES ON A BREN GUN CARRIER. CORPORAL R.F. WILSHIRE (1); PRIVATE C. BOYES (2); PRIVATE W. SCOTT (3); VX7200 PRIVATE P.J. MATTHEWS (4); VX7047 PRIVATE N.R. HARRIS (5); VX9208 PRIVATE R.J. DEAN (6); VX13706 PRIVATE G.E. HUTCHINS (7); VX14478 SERGEANT J.E. FERGUSON (8); VX3479 CORPORAL G.W. HALL (9).

NAGADA, NEW GUINEA. 1944-08-16.

VX72103 GUNNER D.N. BENTLEY, E TROOP, 22ND BATTERY, 106TH TANK ATTACK REGIMENT, USING A BOYES 5" TANK ATTACK RIFLE TO SHOOT CROCODILES IN A SWAMP NEAR THE UNIT CAMP.

Boys Anti-Tank Rifle in .55 calibre, Enfield designed, with original drawings and documentation

Made by BSA ~ same as the motorcycle company UK! Boys anti-tank rifle - Wikipedia

The most powerful AT rifle was the Pak 40 ~ and yet again ~ made by the Germans in WWII. Barely a rifle ~
    7.5 cm Pak 40 | Military Wiki | Fandom

All completely INERT!

The "off cuts" on the left are those I have dug ~ Assuming you put large calibre casings in front of a Bored embedded Digger ~ he will cut them up ~ (Dam!!)

I have only heard of one intact round being dug up locally! And then it was only I clarified that which he thought was a Browning Machine gun round ~ was in fact a Boys Round.

Some one has gone to great lengths to remove the internal weight on these Tungsten projectiles.

These with an altered "powder load" in the case travelled a t >< 27 Feet > per second ~ THAT is moving !

I the Video the comment was made that there was only one round "anti-Tank " but this post on International Ammo Assoc when I asked about the Boys rounds ~ shows differently !

Thanks to Sherry L (ICCA)

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 03-04-2021 at 09:39 AM.

WELL ~ been quiet here of late ~ as the wet returned with a vengeance after the NSW and southern QLD flooding.. Just plain miserable ~ winds and constant showers ~

But managed a few short hunts with some results ~

A very tidy Mini Ball cartridge Snider ~ head stamp 1878~

Intriguing piece knurled and threaded ~

Australian RAA personnel being trained on the use of a water cooled M2 Browning Machine Gun on an AA mount by a member of the US 102nd

(Crt : AWM and NT mile Peg NT WWII)

(*2059)

Fossick #553

Down in the Dumps again ~

Decided to extend a site recce drive to extend that and drove extra distance to a well known WWII rubbish site ~ in view to recovering the top off a water barrel with D/|\D logo and embossing plus the traditional water bung ~

But when I got there I found no such remains ~ but I thought while I am there I will do a hunt with detector ~

Considering this site has been hammered for may years I went one step further and moved the drums aside ~

Spent some hours shuffling around the area with some modest results ~

Sn intact but finished rusted Pannikan/ mug!

Unfortunately the ID ta had no details !

A tropical Thunder head a Brewing ~ Magnificent~

Anti-aircraft gun armourer from the RAA placing a shell into one of the 6 inch guns at the Northern front defending against the Japanese Attecks of the Day ~.

#$2,261
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 04-05-2021 at 05:51 AM.

Well put in another hunt in the Dumps ~ but this time it was a different site which Rob and I found some time back ~ quite a hike by the way ~

Another Bench mark hunt ~ Fossick #555~ I recall often wondering if I would ever make 500 ~

With the Help Sharni ~ who lead Robert to the site despite his having some knowledge of the area as we had scored some fifteen bottles where previously ~ so the site is little known ~

I immediately hooked into a small pile of boulders ~ we agreed the heap was not a natural phenomena ~ agreed that just perhaps the military deliberately pushed the heap up as when I moved boulders it appeared they were masking the relics/ signals ~ and Rob could Belview it when I swung back over the heap where I had dug I would pick up another signal ~

I explained that was typical ~ when you think your'e done you simply go over it again ~ ad better still from another angle ~

But it w as hard yakka moving boulders and some were quite sizeable! Rob recovered a Tasmanian Breweries ~ beer bottle and I dug a NSW 1944 bottle ~ among a raft of other bottles most not having any makers marks ~ Plus several after shave or hair oil bottles ~

Not a lot but potential is there as I also found what I think may be a burial mound ~ with a misc signals but by that time I was knackered ~ and headed off ~

Next trip I will bring a sieve ! Do the whole site for not metal relics ~

The small rough round piece is a coin I am assuming that the Digger removed the centre and discarded it intent to make a ring from the outer edge (?)

The ornamental piece is art Bridle foudn previously ~ cleaned.

The US army buckle did not fare well as I have found US brass was never as good as the Australian or UK brass.

The razor is in impressive condition and much of the original; Zinc is still there ~

Not a huge day but it was to prove a intriguing find day and opened a real local WWII history with assist of mates and research ~

It was then that friend Identified the round piece withth large slot ~

ATHERTON, QLD. 1944-10-13.

TROOPS AT A CRICKET MATCH ARRANGED BY DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR AMENITIES, HEADQUARTERS FIRST CORPS, BETWEEN A TOURING RAAF SIDE KNOWN AS MCCABE'S TEAM AND AN ARMY SIDE.

PERMISSION WAS GIVEN FOR UP TO 10% OF MEMBERS OF EACH UNIT IN THE AREA TO BE PRESENT AT THE MATCH.

( Looks a tad chaotic !)

ATHERTON, QLD. 1944-10-13.

THE OPENING BATSMEN FOR THE ARMY'S 2ND INNINGS PARHAM AND DULDIG, MOVE OUT TO BAT.

THE CRICKET MATCH WAS ORGANISED BY DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR AMENITIES, HEADQUARTERS FIRST CORPS, AGAINST MCCABE'S TEAM, A TEAM OF VISITING CRICKETERS UNDER RAAF CONTROL.

Then some one else researched the teams and found that the RAAF team was a touring team to compete against others ~ and that the team leader was squired by the US forces to train them in the logistics of Cricket !

Informal group portrait of Jack Chegwyn Cricket XI, A Team touring northern areas under RAAF control in a match against an Army team arranged by Deputy Assistant Director Amenities, Headquarters First Corps.

The scores were Army, 1st innings 135, 2nd innings 3/100. Chegwyn's team nine declared for 167. Identified personnel are: back row, fifth from left, Bill O’Reilly?.

Front row, left to right: two unidentified; Stan McCabe; Ron Saggers; Don Tallon, and Jack Chegwyn.

More

Australian Services cricket team - Wikipedia

Might have to explain what a cricket stump is to our foreign friends!

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Might have to explain what a cricket stump is to our foreign friends!
    And don't even begin the try and describe what bodyline is...